IGNORED

Transmission leaking from shifter cylinder

53 minutes ago, chaseincats said:

The o-ring should be easy to find, but the seal is custom molded though, isn't it?

If the outer striking rod o-ring is leaking, it will be hard to find something that will cure it. You might be able to reducd the leakage to an acceptable level.

The striking rod inner seal is a simple lip seal. It should be easy to find and Nissan still sells them. ID:14mm, OD:20mm Width:4.2mm.

Have a look at the list I attached in post#2. The first section in the list is the "Transmission Shift Control" and lists all these parts with sizes and Nissan part numbers.

Chas

7 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Grannyknot - if I can get some sort of VERY stretch o-ring to get on there, would that be better or is there a reason something absorbent like felt or kitchen cord be better?

Cord type material or packing isn't used much these days but was used for decades in older machines of every kind,  if the material is packed in dry it will expand once it wicks up the oil and can give a good wiping seal. 

Of course your leak should be fixed properly at some point but it is pretty hard to justify dropping the whole trans for a 25 cent Oring.  Another possibility is the flexible stretchy string that joins 3M ear plugs together,  I have used it for many repairs, really interesting properties, you can stretch it to twice its standard length before it breaks but remains rubbery.  I'm kind of a cheap buggar so I like to find alternatives.

IMG_1546.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Cord type material or packing isn't used much these days but was used for decades in older machines of every kind,  if the material is packed in dry it will expand once it wicks up the oil and can give a good wiping seal. 

Of course your leak should be fixed properly at some point but it is pretty hard to justify dropping the whole trans for a 25 cent Oring.  Another possibility is the flexible stretchy string that joins 3M ear plugs together,  I have used it for many repairs, really interesting properties, you can stretch it to twice its standard length before it breaks but remains rubbery.  I'm kind of a cheap buggar so I like to find alternatives.

IMG_1546.JPG

You don't think that if the kitchen cord is packed in completely without lithium grease it won't fray before it can get enough gear oil to expand?

Edited by chaseincats

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:34 PM, grannyknot said:

Put it  dry and let the trans oil do its thing.

So I got the string on and it's fitting really well.  Again, thanks for this idea!!

One odd thing I noticed was once I took the inner shifter boot off of the trans (the small circular one that covers the area where you change the shifter bushings) I noticed the inside lightly glistened with transmission fluid.  This boot is a fairly new addition - I got it when I began to notice the leak and after putting it on, the leak slowed dramatically, but didn't stop.

I noticed there was always a little bit of transmission fluid in the area when I installed the shifter bushings but I though 'that's just how it is'.  Is it possible transmission fluid is coming out of there by filling the boot and leaking out of the sides during operation?

The attached pic shows the boot with the fluid visible.  Super weird

IMG_3322.JPG

1 hour ago, chaseincats said:

So I got the string on and it's fitting really well.  Again, thanks for this idea!!

Glad I could help.

I don't have access to a transmission at the moment to look at  but I think the trans oil can get back to the ball and socket on the shifter and shifter rod.  I always pack the ball and socket with bearing grease then cover with the shifter boot to keep the grit out.

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Glad I could help.

I don't have access to a transmission at the moment to look at  but I think the trans oil can get back to the ball and socket on the shifter and shifter rod.  I always pack the ball and socket with bearing grease then cover with the shifter boot to keep the grit out.

So should I just fill the area with grease to seal it?