IGNORED

What to save

Nigel Mulvey

Originally posted by Gav240z

In case you don't know I use a PIPE which I slide over say a rachet to give extra torque for turning the bolt. I had to do this with a set of CV joints on my old corolla. Otherwise they were just on too tight.

I use the round end of a spanner to fit tightly over the head of the bolt or nut then use a heavy rubber mallet on the other side :) Perhaps a little less civilised...

drunkenmaster - The transverse links and control arms are

different things. The control arms are the brackets that go

out to the wheel - above and below the spindle - holds all of the

wheel assembly - pivoits on a shaft to let the wheel go up & down over bumps. The transverse link holds things together

from side to side.

- Jeff

Hmmm....

so in this picture, I see a

1) strut and rear drum brake assembly

2) a halfshaft/driveshfat

3) spindle pin

4) transverse link

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=37792

what do others see? :classic:

which or what is the control arm if it is not the transverse link?

I dont know what Australian or American terminolgy is, I just use the names in my Haynes manual which could be half my problem.

Well if you want to play that game you could also point out the nuts on the spindle pin and lock bolt are missing and "unsafe" too... :geek:

What would really be unsafe about driving my car now is that the rear struts, diff and driveshafts are all on the floor in my garage......including the handbrake cables :cross-eye

Anyhow....

So is what im calling a transverse link what you call a control arm?

DOn't have my manuals with me here, but I believe that Haynes uses the same (or very similar) terminology as the FSM.

YES, What you and Haynes, & FSM (and probably George ( screen name = 240Z) are calling a Transverse Link is what I and most US folk call a Lower control arm.

Similar to a Lower Wishbone on an F1 or Champ Car.