Rod's Garage

THE RESTORATION OF CAR #304

Hey...that's my old dolly #304 is sitting on 🤣

image.png

I remember buying the rusty thing from a body shop in Sylmar and painting it John Deere green/yellow.  It's was rust prepped and painted using POR 15, so it should hold up well.

It gives me much satisfaction it found a new home with a fellow Z enthusiast!

image.png

image.jpeg

Edited by DatsunZGuy
    • Like 1

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

Edited by grannyknot

13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

That's just a parts washer and actually the parts didn't come out of it much different then they went in.  It took all the oil and grease off but not the red paint or the oxidized finish.  I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

As I understand it the '69 crank had a vibration at 6000rpm and above.  And I think that's why there is that reinforcement on the early oil pans.  The vibration was possibly cracking the pans.  Not sure, just some stuff I've read. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rod's Garage said:

I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

Okay, so it was the usual hard work then,  I'm always looking for that miracle product that will take care of aluminum in one step.

Nice to see that repair done properly with a Timesert,  you guys are doing great work.

26 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Okay, so it was the usual hard work then,  I'm always looking for that miracle product that will take care of aluminum in one step.

Nice to see that repair done properly with a Timesert,  you guys are doing great work.

Vapour blast is the only way.

What did you do to refresh the starter internals? That one armature looks pretty rough

It was actually pretty simple. The bushings were still in good shape. I had a donor starter that I got the armature out of and the brushes in that starter were in good shape. So I just cleaned everything up and reassembled with the replacement parts.

• Like 1

Finally getting back to working on car #304.  Have several projects going.  Got the brake lines cleaned up and ready to send out for plating.  Here's a couple of photos.

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

Have a question for anyone who might know.  Was getting ready to rebuild the calipers and noticed that car 304 calipers were blank.  They had no casting marks like you see most calipers like in picture # 0275 below.  Does anyone know if the blank calipers are correct for this car?

Thanks,

Rod

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

On 4/28/2019 at 6:52 PM, Rod's Garage said:

Have a question for anyone who might know.  Was getting ready to rebuild the calipers and noticed that car 304 calipers were blank.  They had no casting marks like you see most calipers like in picture # 0275 below.  Does anyone know if the blank calipers are correct for this car?

Thanks,

Rod

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Just joined today and wanted to say thanks for this thread. The work thus far looks outstanding, and I'm really appreciative you are taking the time to let us follow along.