Jump to content

Rod's Garage

THE RESTORATION OF CAR #304

Recommended Posts

Hey...that's my old dolly #304 is sitting on 🤣

image.png

I remember buying the rusty thing from a body shop in Sylmar and painting it John Deere green/yellow.  It's was rust prepped and painted using POR 15, so it should hold up well.

It gives me much satisfaction it found a new home with a fellow Z enthusiast!

image.png

image.jpeg

 

Edited by DatsunZGuy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

Edited by grannyknot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@Rod's Garage,  those transmission cases look like they are in a dip cage, do you know what chemical solution was used to bring out that nice finish on the aluminum?

The 69 crank looks like it would spin up quickly but I'm guessing there was some kind of vibration issue that required them to add the extra counter weights?

Thanks

That's just a parts washer and actually the parts didn't come out of it much different then they went in.  It took all the oil and grease off but not the red paint or the oxidized finish.  I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

As I understand it the '69 crank had a vibration at 6000rpm and above.  And I think that's why there is that reinforcement on the early oil pans.  The vibration was possibly cracking the pans.  Not sure, just some stuff I've read. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rod's Garage said:

 I had to sandblast the cases with a fine sand then wire brush and steel wool them to get that finish.

Okay, so it was the usual hard work then,  I'm always looking for that miracle product that will take care of aluminum in one step.

Nice to see that repair done properly with a Timesert,  you guys are doing great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Okay, so it was the usual hard work then,  I'm always looking for that miracle product that will take care of aluminum in one step.

Nice to see that repair done properly with a Timesert,  you guys are doing great work.

Vapour blast is the only way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you do to refresh the starter internals? That one armature looks pretty rough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was actually pretty simple. The bushings were still in good shape. I had a donor starter that I got the armature out of and the brushes in that starter were in good shape. So I just cleaned everything up and reassembled with the replacement parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.