IGNORED

I've been looking for a project

z8987

Motor tilts to the passenger's side. Make a line down the center of the cam towers so your lobes will be straight up to the tilted motor. If you have them pointed straight up to your eyes they're off a little.

That 180 degree evap hose has to be done or it won't vent right. It will pinch and cause fumes not to evacuate to the tank. I used two 90s PEX 3/4" to make mine. I can find a pic later or google "90 degree pex siteunseen classiczcars.com" I'm using my phone and don't have access to my info on my laptop.

I can do better tomorrow  when I'm home with my computer.

You'll probably notice that a part of each cam lobe has a brown stain, where the rocker arm did not wear on it.  That is the base circle, where you'll be setting the "lash", or gap.  You don't have to be exact on the cam lobes up or down, you can also check that you're around the middle of the stained area.

Some people take pride in doing them hot, but many just do them all cold, then check them when hot.  They're usually still in spec.  One tip - use a heavy hammer to tap the lock nut loose.  They can be incredibly tight.  Many of us have oil in our blood now from busting knuckles while adjusting valve lash.

Here's the 1976 specs.

image.png

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

You'll probably notice that a part of each cam lobe has a brown stain, where the rocker arm did not wear on it.  That is the base circle, where you'll be setting the "lash", or gap.  You don't have to be exact on the cam lobes up or down, you can also check that you're around the middle of the stained area.

Some people take pride in doing them hot, but many just do them all cold, then check them when hot.  They're usually still in spec.  One tip - use a heavy hammer to tap the lock nut loose.  They can be incredibly tight.  Many of us have oil in our blood now from busting knuckles while adjusting valve lash.

Here's the 1976 specs.

image.png

Thank you.  I set the valves cold.  It took me awhile to figure out that keeping the lock nut fairly tight helps. Also, I took the gauges out of the stack and then just put them on the outside of the stack for the next time I need them. 

9 hours ago, z8987 said:

Are you telling me that none of the vent tubes are necessary?  

The only Vent that is necessary - is the one you are having turned around. The one on the lower part of the tank and the one of the other side of the top of the tank should be plugged.

• 11 months later...

I was told today that blocking off these vents limits the ability to fill the tank and that I should put it back to original??  A little confused about this.

Also, I’m looking for a clutch box and peddle for a series 1.  I’m planning on installing a manual transmission to replace the auto?