IGNORED

240z - fabbing new front rails

ConVerTT

15 hours ago, grannyknot said:

I don't know how much of your original frame rail was left but the area I have circled in red has few layers of support webbing and gusset plates inside to stiffen that area, will you reuse the original T/C rod boxes?

The new rail looks very accurate. ?

triangle area.jpg

Thanks!  So the factory rail did have a gusset over the outer skin.  It is badly rusted out so it is hard to say what guage it was.  I plan on making a replacement from either 18 ga or 14 ga once the inner skin is in place.  The TC rod boxes are in great shape, likely due to the heavy white paint coat from the PO.  I am going to bead blast them for closer inspection but they seem reusable.

Question for you:  I don’t see any drain holes at all on the original rail?  It seems that the the intersection of the front rail, floor rail and firewall is is fantastic water trap once it gets wet.  Did they come like that from the factory?

Edited by ConVerTT
Many typos

I think that if you just weld in some triangulated baffles into that circled area you should be  good but actually @wheee! just did his last year so he should have a good idea of the configuration  that is in there.

6 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

It seems that the the intersection of the front rail, floor rail and firewall is is fantastic water trap once it gets wet.

An excellent water trap!  Which is why they are eaten away so often,  I can't say that I have ever seen a pristine frame rail to know if it had a drain hole or not, maybe one of our members from Arizona could tell us.

31 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

I think that if you just weld in some triangulated baffles into that circled area you should be  good but actually @wheee! just did his last year so he should have a good idea of the configuration  that is in there.

An excellent water trap!  Which is why they are eaten away so often,  I can't say that I have ever seen a pristine frame rail to know if it had a drain hole or not, maybe one of our members from Arizona could tell us.

Haha thanks!   So I know Mark and he is only three hours away.  Been bugging him all afternoon via text about his rails and his  drainage setup..  He had a lot of good suggestions and I have a couple of thoughts too.  Definitely adding some type of drainage path though.  Good thing everything is just clamped in right now ....

Edited by ConVerTT
Typo
  • Like 2

Well its been a few days.  The rails are pretty much done.  Time to get ready to weld so ....AIRCRAFT STRIPPER time!  Yay!

Personally I prefer chemical to mechanical stripping.  Wear a respirator.

First pass ...

3BF3E10A-64FF-403C-8F90-A6A0357458A6.jpeg

I always “bag” the panel after a generous application, especially on vertical panels.  Keeps everything wet a bit longer and cuts down the fumes ....

0AA1C445-F4D1-4B12-BAFE-9F6E287D5AFC.jpeg

Good start, but looks like it will need a looks like it will need a second pass....

5747DA73-C765-4990-8932-8B3AE4DE8505.jpeg

Much better after a second pass...

5B445E40-0849-46A6-BBA4-D0B4B55CC51E.jpeg

Panel looks pretty clean.  Rusty at the firewall and under the rad support as expected...

E1B98D0B-67E8-4D57-9765-2EF22FB44373.jpegp

6BFA6F73-D5DC-43DE-A0FB-6F0592D28516.jpeg]

So while I was waiting, I thought I would try the stripper on the undercoat in the fender well.  I have been told that it will NOT work on undercoat ....189DD783-7EEF-4464-9907-12E01BAC98DF.jpeg

...but it sure did!  Softened it right up so that I could scrape it off with a putty knife ...

CC3E7137-B954-4095-83BE-09E548898B20.jpeg

Finnished it up with WD40 on a rag and a wire wheel on some of the stubborn stuff.  Tomorrow we weld!  Cheers all!

Edited by ConVerTT
Typos
  • Like 3

Paint stripper for undercoating.  That's a worthwhile discovery.  Certainly a lot safer than using a torch and probably more effective than a heat gun. Undercoating removal is a miserable-but-unavoidable job, so anything that eases the pain and improves the result is worth knowing about. 

I wonder whether the stripper approach will work with the applied-with-a-brush-from-a-can parts store-type undercoating that was inflicted on so many cars from this era by their owners.  That stuff is just diluted asphalt.

I'm impressed by how well you managed to contain all of the paint and undercoating gunk/debris.  Almost makes the job look easy (although I'm pretty sure it wasn't).

9 hours ago, ConVerTT said:

Personally I prefer chemical to mechanical stripping.  Wear a respirator.

I agree it certainly is the fastest but it also comes with the danger of the stripping chemicals hiding in the seams and crevises  then seeping out after the new paint is on causing breaks in the paint, then the rust starts all over again (ask me how I know).  A small fine wire brush and an air gun along the seams helps a lot removing the last of the stripper.

Looking good,  I really like your plastic sheet trough under the work area, I'm going to try that next time.

• Like 1