IGNORED

license plate wire path

qz16

can someone please tell me what the path is for the license plate light.  How do you route wires from the hatch area harness to the light?  Do I have to remove the taillight finishing panel to see an access hole?

thank you.

Short answer: Yes.  It sounds like you haven't tried dismounting the light housing yet.  When you do, things will be obvious.  The wiring connectors are located on the outside of the body, behind the light housing.  The wiring exits from the interior through a grommet-equipped hole (with grommet) just to the left of the body centreline.102_5660.JPG

You'll need to remove both the metal centre finisher panel on the outside and the big plastic trim panel on the inside.  You might also need to pull the weatherstripping free along the back sill. 

102_5696.JPG

Be gentle and patient when you set about trying to remove the interior plastic trim panel.  There are molded lips along the top and bottom edges that are typically brittle with age and really easy to break off if you don't finesse things.  IIRC, you need to tug the top edge free first and tilt the top inward by an inch of so.  Then you need to coax either the left or right end out the corner a bit so as to free things up.  Then remove at a slight angle.  The panel won't pull straight forward.  It also doesn't like to bend very much.  Picture below (a little fuzzy)  shows the panel during installation rather than removal, but should give you the idea.

102_5686.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am doing a complete restore and foolishly I installed the tail lights and the taillight panel without giving a thought to the license plate light.  All of the interior trim is off because I am changing the color.  Guess I was too in a rush to finally see some forward progress putting stuff on the car.  Thanks for the quick reply.

I know this question is answered, but I just wanted to mention that it would not be necessary to remove the outer center metal finisher to run the wiring harness and install the grommet. With the license plate light removed it should be no problem.

Cheers

Mike

20190119_113650_HDR.jpg

20190119_105507_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CanTechZ  - The two pictures you sent are worth 1000 words.  Thank you very much.  I have a 1973 which in most regards is quite similar to your 70.  Having said that I do not have the access hole in hatch area  that appears in your picture.hatch_area.jpg

• Like 1

how completely stupid of me - I do have the access hole.  The grommet is still there.  Painted over by yours truly.  I did not see it until I zoomed in on your picture and mine at the same time.  Thanks very much.

i built all new harness engine bay cockpit overhead and hatch.  that's why i asked you about the fuel tank to gauge piece.  obviously the old harness did not have it so i did not reproduce it, so i will have to add it.

regards,

q