IGNORED

Cut Off Strut Tubes Wanted

Captain Obvious

• 5 months later...

Did you not hear? He cut his finger on the sharp edge then had to get a tetanus shot. The doctor mixed up the needles and gave him dynopeptic germ resistive serum. His friend Barney had to keep him awake for 48 hours to prevent him from going to the big Z in the sky.  He is now convalescing in the local seniors home and watches 50's cartoons when he is awake while drooling and shouting obscenities at the nurses... he is a hoot!

image.png

LOL. My story didn't quite play out as described by Blue, but there has been non-ideal events occurring all over the place that have pushed the priority of this project back a little.

So the short answer to your question is... No, nothing that you haven't already seen.

Here's where the project stands. I got the strut tubes from you (I thank you again immensely):
P1140421.JPG

I chucked them up in the lathe one at a time and cut the spring perches off the tubes:
P1140435.JPG

Here's what they looked like before and after they met Mr. Lathe:
P1140436.JPG

And here's both of them done:
P1140446.JPG

And that's where the project stalled. They've been helping hold down my workbench since this point.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Here's what they looked like before and after they met Mr. Lathe:

So you spun up the tube and cut from the inside until the spring perch broke loose?  How did you avoid having the perch and the separated part of the tube create a jam when they dropped free?

The process went like this. Chucked them up in the lathe and cut off the remaining lower portion of the original tube:
P1140429.JPG

Then once that was out of the way, I went in with a boring tool and opened up the inside diameter:
P1140430.JPG

P1140431.JPG

Bore out the ID a little at a time just until the original tube has been cut out of the perch ring. Once that happens, the perch can be pulled off:
P1140433.JPG