Captain Obvious

Cut Off Strut Tubes Wanted

For those of you who have cut off your 280Z strut tubes and installed coil over assemblies instead... Anyone have their old cut off front strut tubes laying around, or did everyone chuck them into the trash?

I would like a pair of the old cut off front tubes with the spring perches to use as part of an experimental project:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/60161-lowering-bottom-spring-perch/

I don't remember who all has done this recently...  @wheee!   @AlbatrossCafe   @Zed Head   ?

I will take a look for them. Might still have them!

Cool! Thanks for checking!

And if you remember anyone else who has done the tube cut-off thing recently, could you tag them here? I tried to come up with forum names of people who had been through that, but didn't do so well.

• Like 1

They are yours for the cost of shipping if I find them. They are in a pile of scrap metal outside.... under 22” of snow....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wheee! said:

These any good?

Those would be perfect. Only issue is I don't want the snow.

I'll send PM for shipping details.

Those would be perfect. Only issue is I don't want the snow.
I'll send PM for shipping details.

I will use the snow for packing material. Should keep things nice and safe en route!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fine. I’ll go back and powder coat them pink for you too....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shipped! Looking forward to pics of lowered springs or severed fingers...

Did you not hear? He cut his finger on the sharp edge then had to get a tetanus shot. The doctor mixed up the needles and gave him dynopeptic germ resistive serum. His friend Barney had to keep him awake for 48 hours to prevent him from going to the big Z in the sky.  He is now convalescing in the local seniors home and watches 50's cartoons when he is awake while drooling and shouting obscenities at the nurses... he is a hoot!

image.png

All that and no pics? C'mon Blue!..... I gotta see this LOL

LOL. My story didn't quite play out as described by Blue, but there has been non-ideal events occurring all over the place that have pushed the priority of this project back a little.

So the short answer to your question is... No, nothing that you haven't already seen.

Here's where the project stands. I got the strut tubes from you (I thank you again immensely):
P1140421.JPG

I chucked them up in the lathe one at a time and cut the spring perches off the tubes:
P1140435.JPG

Here's what they looked like before and after they met Mr. Lathe:
P1140436.JPG

And here's both of them done:
P1140446.JPG

And that's where the project stalled. They've been helping hold down my workbench since this point.

• Like 3

Nice job on getting them off the tubes! Looks good.

9 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Here's what they looked like before and after they met Mr. Lathe:

So you spun up the tube and cut from the inside until the spring perch broke loose?  How did you avoid having the perch and the separated part of the tube create a jam when they dropped free?

I believe he cut off the lower section of tube first, then removed the tube material under the perch until it was free of the tube.

The process went like this. Chucked them up in the lathe and cut off the remaining lower portion of the original tube:
P1140429.JPG

Then once that was out of the way, I went in with a boring tool and opened up the inside diameter:
P1140430.JPG

P1140431.JPG

Bore out the ID a little at a time just until the original tube has been cut out of the perch ring. Once that happens, the perch can be pulled off:
P1140433.JPG

Just for proof of concept, before I cut the second perch off, I tested the first one.

Used a rubber mallet to tap the now liberated loose perch back onto the strut tube and position it a little lower than it was originally:P1140439.JPG

And here's a shot showing the relative heights of the perches. You can tell by the position of the tab welded onto the tubes that the perch on the left is lower by about an inch. The idea would be to re-weld the perch back into this new lower position on another set of complete strut tubes.
P1140441.JPG:

• Like 2