IGNORED

Wont run right after headers

Pochie45566

Hey, 

I just put some 3-2 headers on my 78 EFI z and once I cranked it over and got it warmed up, it doesn't run right. I have 32 psi fuel pressure, labeled all connectors and lines when I took them off. I can't see where I went wrong. 

It is running extremely rich, will not rev, needs gas pedal to start. It sound like I am missing spark but I'm not sure how this would have happened? I didn't touch the distributor at all. Thoughts?

I can post some pictures of the engine if that would be helpful. 

Just now, Zed Head said:

It would help if you could add a lot more detail.  Many possibilities. 

Sounds like your coolant temperature sensor is unplugged or on the wrong terminal.

I just swapped the two, and no change. Still does not want to start and runs horribly. 

It is a 78' 280, Stock EFI system, new injectors, water temp sensor, maf, AAR. It ran fine before the headers and had no issues. It just now idles low, doesn't want to rev, runs rich. I got new studs when I did the system so none of them broke off and all are torqued down pretty well. I checked for any spots air could be getting into the fuel lines because I did have to take off the rail. Nothing came up. 

Edit - misread your message.  

If you have a meter, your most effective troubleshooting will probably be at the ECU connector in the cabin.  Get The Fuel Injection Book and start probing.  Something will show up.  Good luck.

p.s. was the 32 psi with the engine running or not?  Check the FPR vacuum hose for fuel.  Maybe your FPR went bad.

Edited by Zed Head

18 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Edit - misread your message.  

If you have a meter, your most effective troubleshooting will probably be at the ECU connector in the cabin.  Get The Fuel Injection Book and start probing.  Something will show up.  Good luck.

p.s. was the 32 psi with the engine running or not?  Check the FPR vacuum hose for fuel.  Maybe your FPR went bad.

The 32 PSI was with the engine off. I did have to mess with the FPR a bit to get it to clear the throttle linkage maybe I messed it up. . I will go in there and do the component checks stated in the EFI bible. 

3 minutes ago, Pochie45566 said:

The 32 PSI was with the engine off. 

36+ is spec.  If you had a hole in the FPR you might get a lower reading but fuel pouring in to the intake manifold.

Pull the vacuum hose and run the fuel pump.  See if the FPR squirts fuel from the vacuum fitting.