IGNORED

Where's the vents???

tibZ

Howdy,

I was looking at this car last night (on Ebay) and noticed that in addition to those items already mentioned that the quarter panel badges are wrong and the steering wheel should not have the cut-outs in the spokes.

The ashtray is located where it should be (very front of center console, just beneath the radio.).

I emailed the seller asking him about the same issues brought up here and in addition, why is he having a privated auction. I'll post his response if I get a reply. My guess is that it's a harmless mistake but, one never knows....

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '71 240Z

Originally posted by wannaZ

If I'm not mistaken, there should be vents on the hatch of this "70".Also it should say 2400 on the valve cover, but I can't tell for sure. Is the ashtray in the right place?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415202683&category=6187 Oh yea, holes in the steering wheel, does this mean it's a 73?

Originally posted by landmizzle

Howdy,

the steering wheel should not have the cut-outs in the spokes.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that the original '70 Z's HAD the cutouts in the spokes, and that they started being filled in in '71. My 11/69 HAS the cutouts. The transition from the 2400 valve cover to OHC occurred in late '70 I think as well. My guess is that if it is a '70 model, it is very late, and is a transition car that has parts from both years. Either that, or it is an early '71 that has a few features of the '70. OR, it was in an accident, and the hatch and rear quarters were replaced. Doesn't explain the valve cover, though. Could be a lot of things...

Howdy,

Going to have to disagree with you on this one (respectfully of course!).

The early steering wheels started out with NO cut outs and then transitioned to cut-outs in '71. Here's a web page reference...

http://www.classicdatsun.com/zz/nissan.html

I'm pretty confident on this one but, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong....

Best Regards,

Landmizzle '71 240Z

Originally posted by mdbrandy

Uhh, I'm pretty sure that the original '70 Z's HAD the cutouts in the spokes, and that they started being filled in in '71. My 11/69 HAS the cutouts. The transition from the 2400 valve cover to OHC occurred in late '70 I think as well. My guess is that if it is a '70 model, it is very late, and is a transition car that has parts from both years. Either that, or it is an early '71 that has a few features of the '70. OR, it was in an accident, and the hatch and rear quarters were replaced. Doesn't explain the valve cover, though. Could be a lot of things...

And of course, you're right. Chalk it up to learning too many things in a short time, and writing this from work, when the car's at home. I actually had a picture on my computer here, and yup, the slots are filled in on mine. I have an extra wheel off a '71, and I guess I got them mixed up. Page 4 off the original 1970 sales brochure also shows the filled in spokes. (http://www.zhome.com/zcarfilesJPEG/70Broch.htm) Thanks for straightening me out! :stupid:

On another note, I found this on zhome.com about the valve cover:

The early Z's had valve covers that said "NISSAN 2400" - they changed when the A/T Transmission cars came out, somewhere around 10/70 (HLS30 12658). From that point on most of them said "NISSAN OHV" - although there seems to be an overlap period of some months that cars were equipped with either style.

post-4028-14150792688938_thumb.jpg

Lot's of things pointed out already seem to indicate this is one of the "cross-over" cars.... Probably a mid to late 71 build date...

The VIN number would tell it all. Mine is an 11/70 build date titled as a 71 and it has the hatch vents... so this one is more than likely a little later than mine... fairly sure it's not a 70 as stated. Even if it had a later build date in 70, it more than likely would have been titled as a 71 as it wouldn't have reached the US until 71 anyways...

The seller has updated his listing and admits it IS a 1971, with a corresponding VIN. (don't recall, but in the 23,000 range)

Although the discussion has centered around items that would indicate a 70 or Series I, it should be noted that ALL the parts mentioned are removeable and therefore suspect when it come to definitively identifying the year.

Of better use is the Round Vents on the Roof Pillars. Only the Series II vent emblems can fit in those holes, the holes don't line up for a Series I emblem. Although the Hatch is replaceable, no vents.

Did anyone notice the toggle style Hazard Switch? with no indent on the dash? That is very early. The ash tray and console are correct for a 71, as is the steering wheel. The radio is aftermarket.

2¢

Hmm, thought so Enrique... The biggest giveaway was the C-pillar vents...hard to change them unless the whole rear quarters are changed to repair damage...well, then again, someone could just fill them with Bondo and use the early emblems I guess...

This looks like one of those crossover cars that were built with left-over parts from the early cars and parts from the later cars.

Vin number 23407 would put it as a 2/71 build date... which is about right for the changeover from "series 1" to "series 2" according to all the previous posts on the subject.

He replied to me stating that he would be adding the VIN to the auction soon...and he did. Here's a quote from his update on the auction: "THIS IS A 1971 240 Z, NOT A 1970. THE VIN# IS: HLS3023407. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR EMAILS, PHONE CALLS AND QUESTIONS....ALL ORIGINAL BOOKS ARE INCLUDED...."