IGNORED

Datsun 240Z Shim doors

Datsunbat

I think it's not very likely that you'll find these Nissan shim plates.  Not impossible.  Just unlikely.  However. they're nothing more than pieces of stamped metal plate.  You can easily make your own. 

For reference, auto body shim plates are typically provided in four thicknesses:  1/64", 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8" (0.4mm, 0.8mm, 1.2mm and 1.6mm).  For the door shim plates, a little adjustment at the the front of the door will make for a lot of angular adjustment at the bottom and top of the door, so I'm thinking that a set of 1/64" and 1/32" plates would be the way to go.  The thicknesses don't have to be exactly 1/64" or 1/32".  Use what you can find conveniently.

These shim plates don't need to be pretty and they don't need to be shaped to +/- 0.001" tolerances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Namerow said:

I think it's not very likely that you'll find these Nissan shim plates.  Not impossible.  Just unlikely.  However. they're nothing more than pieces of stamped metal plate.  You can easily make your own. 

For reference, auto body shim plates are typically provided in four thicknesses:  1/64", 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8" (0.4mm, 0.8mm, 1.2mm and 1.6mm).  For the door shim plates, a little adjustment at the the front of the door will make for a lot of angular adjustment at the bottom and top of the door, so I'm thinking that a set of 1/64" and 1/32" plates would be the way to go.  The thicknesses don't have to be exactly 1/64" or 1/32".  Use what you can find conveniently.

These shim plates don't need to be pretty and they don't need to be shaped to +/- 0.001" tolerances.

This is also true. I would want to use something that's not going to rust.

You may also find if you get the fender end of the door lined up with the fender, that the rear edge no longer lies flat. In that case I literally twist the door by hand until I can get it to lay flat. That is one of the nice things about thin doors. This work is easier with out the door latch installed. So you can get the door right without any pressure on it

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Patcon said:

@JLPurcell

Didn't you make some shims at some point?

Thanks for answering. I've ones that came with the car, aluminium, but very ugly and don't want to use them. But you gave an excellent idea, I take the ugly ones and make a reproduction. 

16 minutes ago, Namerow said:

Thanks for answering! I've them in aluminuim, and I want it original, but you're right, with the correct thickness I can make new ones! I'll try next weekend! You're very helpfull, thanks a lot!!! I'll tell you the result next week!

9 minutes ago, Patcon said:

This is also true. I would want to use something that's not going to rust.

You may also find if you get the fender end of the door lined up with the fender, that the rear edge no longer lies flat. In that case I literally twist the door by hand until I can get it to lay flat. That is one of the nice things about thin doors. This work is easier with out the door latch installed. So you can get the door right without any pressure on it

Thanks for answering! That's true...I used to do it in my 510 and worked, but I noticed this part when  started the Z resto, and as a fan of originality I ask for original parts!

Thank you all for answering!!! I'll tell you the result!!! Right now I'll update my post!!!

Regards

Mário

BTW don't use aluminum as spacers! The dissimilar metals causes other issues. I agree, your best bet is to make some. I like  originality too, but sometimes it's not worth the effort. The older I get, enjoying the car on the road becomes the priority

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Datsunbat said:

OK Patcon, so I guess I'll use normal metal, the same as the body car? Only with different tchickness. Correct?

Regards

Mário

Yes Mario

I would use some galvanized steel in the thickness you need then prime or plate them before use

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JLPurcell said:

Yes, I had a 100 or so laser cut. I am waiting to make a zinc plating run to Muncie, then they will be ready. 

IMG_2069.JPG

Awesome!!!

If you finish some please make me know! I'll need them to my z.

They are great!!!

Regards

Mário

2 hours ago, Datsunbat said:

Awesome!!!

If you finish some please make me know! I'll need them to my z.

They are great!!!

Regards

Mário

Plan to possibly take them for plating Wednesday if the company is open. I will let you know when they are plated. JLP

• Like 3

• 4 months later...