IGNORED

5 speed clutch question

chiefmd

I purchased a 1977 280z this past summer and doing a complete mechanical rebuild. I pulled the trans today to replace clutch and throw out bearing. I then remembered that the PO stated that he had the trans ungraded to a 5 speed (I believe from a ZX).

My question is what clutch plate and bearing should I order?  Or are all 280Z/280ZX 5 speed the same.  Thanks for your help

1 hour ago, chiefmd said:

I purchased a 1977 280z this past summer and doing a complete mechanical rebuild. I pulled the trans today to replace clutch and throw out bearing. I then remembered that the PO stated that he had the trans ungraded to a 5 speed (I believe from a ZX).

My question is what clutch plate and bearing should I order?  Or are all 280Z/280ZX 5 speed the same.  Thanks for your help

All of the transmissions are the same.  The throwout bearing sleeve and the pressure plate need to match.  Details were just posted in the recent "slave cylinder popping out" thread.

Just call Motorsports and ask them to send the right clutch, collar and bearing. They know Z’s and will match everything for you correctly. I use the 240z combo on all my 4 speed and 5 speed Z’s. All have 280 motors......they’ll fix you up!

Motorsport is good if you have the money and want someone else to do it for you.  Or you can do the math and save a few dollars, plus learn "why" for the future, and be able to double-check Motorsports work.  

The bearings are all the same and are easily replaced in the sleeve.

Here's that thread, with more links.

20 minutes ago, chiefmd said:

Looking at this one, Rock Auto (EXEDY 06009. Has anyone by chance installed one. Thanks.

I have that on both my 225mm flywheels.  I really like mine too.  The first one I installed the throw out bearing myself, it makes a spinning noise when the clutch is released in neutral.  Nothing bad just an annoyance to me knowing it's there.  The second one I had pressed on by my machinist.  Absolutely quiet in neutral. 

Good clutch kit with everything you'll need.  I highly recommend for a street car.  I bought mine at amazon .com for $100 and free shipping.  Cheers...

rockauto has a better deal than amazon I just saw.  In the box "how did you hear about us" put 9238848886853244 for a 5% discount.  I think it changes daily? but you can google discount code for rockauto and get the newest one.  $93 shipping and all to my house.

I learned a trick on the pilot bearing/bushing.  Put it between your pointing finger and your thumb, fill it with motor oil and squeeze until you see the outside "sweat" drops form.  That oils it throughout.  Thanks Tom Monroe!

Similar to this...

spigot_bush_2.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1