IGNORED

So we're doing a 73 restoration project

Michaelwk

8 hours ago, jayhawk said:

Michael,  per your comment eariler in this thread:  If I read my copy of the 1973 1974 Fuel Modification document correctly, I think that the -2 carb you have IS for the 1973 Z.   That document is available here on classiczcars. If I'm reading it correctly, 1973 carbs came as either a -1 without the Float Hinge plug, or a -2, that does have the Float Hinge plug.  Since my '73 was early production (10/72), I think I had the -1 carbs, but your -2 seems to match the description  for a '73. 

I am not at all sure how the 1973 -2 carbs differ from the  -4 used on the 260Z.  (and where did they use -3 carbs?...)

Hi jayhawk,

I was going off the FSM for 73, which shows this picture:

image.png

That bowl has 6 screws and nice little easy-to-remove setup for the float.  I most certainly do not have that! haha.  I agree with you that I have the -2 that the Fuel Modification doc talks about, so it's odd that the 73 FSM doesn't talk about these.  Unless there's two versions of it out there.

Thanks for the info!

13 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

It would be nice if you could drop the tank somehow at the storage place and have all winter to restore the tank, less down time in the spring.

I will probably ask about that.  It's an insulated but not heated section of a big shop.  There's a good number of other cars, bikes, and boats stuffed in there so we'll have to see how much room there is.

5 hours ago, Michaelwk said:

Hi jayhawk,

I was going off the FSM for 73, which shows this picture:

image.png

That bowl has 6 screws and nice little easy-to-remove setup for the float.  I most certainly do not have that! haha.  I agree with you that I have the -2 that the Fuel Modification doc talks about, so it's odd that the 73 FSM doesn't talk about these.  Unless there's two versions of it out there.

Thanks for the info!

I suspect that the FSM was written before they started using the -2 carbs.  I also suspect the earliest production '73s (like mine: 10/72) had the -1s, and they started using -2s a few months later.   I'll have to look at the flat tops I saved from my car to see what they are. (they are right now with Motorman7, who likely will be getting around to starting the carb repair/rebuild soon.)

As for that filter, I bet that contaminant is from the lines, not the tank.  I had my tank boiled, welded and then powder coated during the restoration.  I have continued to struggle with a fueling issue after assembly and the filters filled with black junk continually.  I then get a literal "drip, drip, drip" stream of fuel because I was too lazy and stupid to properly clean the lines when they were out of the car since they were in such good shape.  Gas is an excellent solvent and over time and 4 filters this is on the way to resolving itself and it finally seems to be flowing properly after one more blast of the lines with carb cleaner and 60 psi last weekend.  If he filter clogs up again I am going the classic tube replacement route before the yet to be procured Mikunis go on the car.  

So if possible don't be a dummy like me, if you get the tank done do not overlook the lines because they're all nice and clean on the outside...

20181209_110730_resized.jpg

Edited by ollie
  • Like 1