IGNORED

Installation of Dynamat or similar material

Jaymanbikes

I am interested in seeing how some of you guys who have installed Dynamat or similar materials in your 240Z did it.  I am particularly interested in the rear of the cabin.  Did you stop at the edge of the 2 compartments or did you install it over the doors?    Pics would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Jay

I'm currently doing the same and have the a similar conundrum...  I don't really want to cover the top of the doors.  If I don't, I feel I'll need to line both boxes completely and possibly the underside of the doors.  Maybe just line both boxes??  I know from building my Home Theater that an open seam equals a sound leak. 

I have a fair amount of the rear covered and it seems like most of my noise is now in the tail (light panels) and from the quarter panel area.  IDK how I'm going to deal with those sections either...

My suggestion is a combination of a product like Dynamat plus a layer of foam-backed mass-loaded vinyl. Dynamat helps to reduce vibration in the panels, and does not need to be applied over the entire panel. About 25%, and mostly on the large, flat areas will do the job. MLV helps to block transmission of sound. I've found it's especially effective for road noise.