IGNORED

What rear end do I have?

A Velo Rossa guy

I have a re-bodied 240Z. The VIN says it is a 1973.  After a couple of years of restoration it is now on the road and shake down has begun. I discovered the right rear strut was leaking so I started looking for replacements. Am I correct that a '73 has a straight axle and if so then what do I have in my car. See pictures 

A separate but related issue is the from struts. I would like adjustable one there because the nose of the car is sitting too high.

I look forward to your help.

Harvey

20180728_152625.jpg

20180728_152729.jpg

All 240/260/280 Z's have Independent Rear Suspension.  So...  I don't know what you mean by "straight axle"...

Your suspension has been modified - that's not a stock rear strut.  The strut has been "sectioned" or an adjustable lower spring perch has been added.  You would have to take it apart to see if the stock strut insert (damper) is still there or if the insert has been changed (which is what usually happens when someone modifies the strut that way)  The stock rear brakes were not discs - they were drum brakes.

I think he meant "live axle".  Which is an odd name in itself.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_axle#Live_axle_vs_dead_axle

To add - your suspension is already adjustable, the rear is at least.  You can either raise the rear by moving the threaded perch stop, or lower the front.  Assuming that whoever modified the rears also did the fronts.  Take a picture of the front suspension.

Edited by Zed Head

Loks like someone did a adjustable coil over "upgrade" and a disc brake "upgrade". The disk brake upgrade looks like a maxima disc and cailper upgrade, but not sue because Ican't see the cailper.

As for the strut modificatie. 20 year ago there were a lot of options out there for agjustabe coil overs. The one in your photo does not look firmiliar to me.

If you remove the cartidge, you may find the original manufacturer and order acreplacement. Or it could be a situation wear they don't make the cartidge anymore. Maybe a parts store can match it with an alternative. Most of these adjustable coil over manufactures source their cartrides from a reputable manufacturer.

Can you post a photo of the front strut? A photo of the rear caliper would be nice for curiosity.

6 hours ago, A Velo Rossa guy said:

I have a re-bodied 240Z.

Looks like it might have a fuel cell also.  Not the stock fuel tank anyway.  And dual exhaust pipes.

What does "re-bodied" mean?  The Z's are unibody, so there's no frame to put a new body on to.

Thanks for all the help guys. Patcon is correct, it is a Velo Rossa body. The person who did the conversion did a nice job beefing up the frame for the removal of the top. It was originally done to be an autocross car so there are lots of performance upgrades. Many of which I am trying to tame down to make the car more enjoyable on the street. You guys are also correct on the dual exhaust, gas tank, and disc brakes. (Those are all staying)

The dual exhaust is actually kind of funny. The car is fuel injected so the header goes 6 to 2 to 1 (For the O2 sensor) then splits back to the dual exhaust, largely for show but it does have a nice sound.

Here are a few more pictures of the car.

I'll check my phone for brake and front strut pictures.

20180708_191518.jpg

20180708_191257 (2).jpg