IGNORED

Video of Jet Drop When "Choke" Applied

Too bad he didn't take a measurement of the drop. I've been puzzling about the distance the nozzle drops below the fuel level when the choke is applied. At the tail end of Jalex's fix, the Cap'n brought this subject up when I was trying to get Jalex to set his fuel level just below the nozzles at 2 1/2 turns down. I believe that Jalex's fuel level is lower than the nozzle tops and it seems to run fine.  I'mm left with the opinion that there is a grey area in the fuel level that works just fine for the street. Opinions?

7 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

I'm left with the opinion that there is a grey area in the fuel level that works just fine for the street.

I'm no carb expert, but that is my contention. I do not believe the absolute fuel level is as critical as many people believe it to be

It is my contention that the majority of the pressure drop occurs at the needle restriction, and not much caused by the different height of the fuel. What is the psi reading at the bottom of a 2 mm tall column of fuel?

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

It is my contention that the majority of the pressure drop occurs at the needle restriction, and not much caused by the different height of the fuel. What is the psi reading at the bottom of a 2 mm tall column of fuel?

I got lost when you explained this. Can you expand on this theory? I've always believed that a precise fuel level was critical in all carbs. Now I'm wondering how large the fuel level "grey area" is. Perhaps @Bruce Palmer can help us out. I believe he said the optimum fuel level should be just below the nozzle tops at 2 1/2 turns down.

I'll flow test the differences of  fuel flow vs. jet height and fuel bowl height when I get a chance.

I just checked some modelling figures against measurements when tuning an L28 yesterday:

• SK Synchrometer shows 10kg/hr of air flow at 800rpm  for 3 cylinders (4.8cfm)
  • An old  model gives ~10cfm at 800rpm for 6 cylinders (~5.0cfm for 3 cylinders)
  • Flow per cylinder at idle would be ~1.6cfm
  • Can't find any formulas for a rectangular venturi (like the bridge/Piston space on an SU).... maybe the flow has to be sliced into sections along the width and only the slice of flow above the exposed annular ring pulls the fuel.

image.png