IGNORED

Rust Advice 78 280z

gotham22

I appreciate everyone’s optimism to save all the Z’s, but this one should probably be parted out. This is not novice territory. This will be a hard lesson on biting off more than you can chew. No garage, not even thinkable. Part it out and find another body- you’ll save time , money and stress in the end

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

So far it's just been pictures of rusty and/or missing metal.  What's the rest of the car look like?

Good point! My best parts I acquired for my 240 came off a car just like that. The guy said it almost broke in half. Had almost perfect door cards though. 

I thank everyone for their comments and help. I have thought about this a lot and although I am a novice and my setup is no where near ideal I am going to save this car. It’s un-drivable as it is so what do I have to lose? The worst thing is I find out down the road I need to part it out. Besides it will be a great learning experience. I hope I can continue to count on this community to guide me through the process

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2

That is NOT a parts car IMO.  If it is to you then I'm going to start going through your garbage :ph34r:.   Everything I've seen so far hasn't been horrible,  daunting maybe,  but entirely repairable.  Go slow, be patient and appreciate the small victories. You'll get there.

• Like 1

Got to admit- the car looks nice !

almost funny, but not, the parts car I was referring too in my case was the same color . Guy told me he bought it and drove it and we got it on a lift he couldn’t believe how bad it was .

I wasn’t trying to discourage effort , but you have a lot of work ahead of you . Lots of good people and help here 

On 6/13/2018 at 5:50 AM, gotham22 said:

Also, does the steering cross member need to be replaced?  Or can it be reinforced?

IMG_1004.JPG

I didn't see a direct answer to this but I'd just replace it.  It's bolted in.  Somebody should have one for cheap and they're not that heavy.  Just an odd part to have shipped.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gotham22 said:

Besides it will be a great learning experience. I hope I can continue to count on this community to guide me through the process

Were here for you,  my comments are just cautionary.  The PO's took excellent care of the top half of the car, very smart looking Z, the joys of salt eh?

The strange thing is that all the damage appears on the drivers side only.  I made some wood jack stands this weekend to better support and level the car.  I will post pictures this week.  Thanks for all the support.  They rest of the car looks so good I cant choose the parts car option just yet without giving it a try.

Does anyone know what gauge sheet metal I need for the firewall and floor pan patch? How about the frame rail fixes and strengthening? I saw another thread where someone was using 18gauge. Is that correct? Also, if anyone is looking to sell a steering cross member please let me know. As you can see mine has seen better days.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile