IGNORED

Transmission help

Montana Z

1 hour ago, heyitsrama said:

Ah I just upgraded to a 5spd close ratio, I kinda liked my 4spd more, it just seemed like it was on-ramp happy,

Your 4 speed had a 3.321 first gear - 3.321 x 3.54 = 11.75

Your 5 speed has a 3.062 first gear - 3.062 x 3.54 = 10.83

Swap your rear diff to a 3.9 and you'll be back to where you were on the low end - 3.062 x 3.9 = 11.94.  A little quicker actually, with lower gears all the way to 4th, which is 1:1 for both.

And you'll still have lower RPM at freeway speed.

(4th) 1 x 3.54 = 3.54

(5th) .754 x 3.9 = 2.94

• Like 1

Just got back from a long trip, 25 mph mostly 80-85 in 5th 80  is 3k with the OD 4k in 4th 70 is about 2.6K vs 3.5K. Its a bit tall with a 3.54. Can not really engage it until at least 70 to avoid lugging it, so with the 3.54 its strictly a hiway gear and a flat one at that. The car I pulled in it from (81zx IIRC) had a blue speedo gear which I think is a 3.7 rear end.

If you are not into long highway speeds I think the 4 speed is prob the way to go, plenty of torque with a stock engine to make use of the gears. Watch in 10 years everybody is jonesing for a OE 4 speed.

• Like 1