IGNORED

1975 280 starts for 2 seconds and shuts off???

jlenownnab

The ignition switch can cause problems and kind of fits what you're describing.  Either the mechanical part or the electrical part.  Sometimes the rod inside the switch does not turn the electrical portion far enough.  Or, sometimes the terminals on the electrical part are loose.  You have to take it off to examine it.  If it's never been off before, you'll have to remove the theft-prevention screws by grinding, filing, or drilling.

I replaced the back side of the ignition only. I also cleaned connections before re- installing. The 8 to 9k is referring to the rpm that Zed asked me about ( I had just called it great). I didn' t realize I was leaving anything out, just trying to answer your questions. Unfortunately, I know very little about cars, so I don't always pick up on what people are saying or asking right away. Sorry.

You probably remember from when you had it apart that there was a short rod that connected the key portion to the electrical switch.  I had to add some twist to that short rod to get it to turn the electrical part far enough to work.  The click that you hear might be the Accessory relay opening, as it does when the key is turned to Start, to give full power to the starting effort.

You could turn the electrical portion with a screwdriver if you wanted to, as a test.  You can also get a feel for it by how far you have to turn the key when it does Start.  If you have to turn the key as far as possible before the starter engages then you're on that edge.

Great info, thanks. I met friend/mechanic this morning. The car started perfect 12 times in a row in a 2 hour period, no miss either. Unable to trouble shoot a perfectly good running car, my guy checked and cleaned several grounds. He also added an extra ground from the starter to the frame. When I turn the key I hear the auxiliary click. After reading your last post I paid close attention while turning the key, the key turns effortlessly and the starter engages without overturning the key. I guess for now I need to wait for it to act up again to  troubleshoot further. Thanks