IGNORED

Who the heck is Big Mike?

Zed Head

Clicked on to the Fast n' Loud show and some guy called Big Mike, from the "tuner" world, is apparently their 280Z build expert.  Pretty sure I remember a 2+2 from a short while ago, I might have even posted a link.  Can't remember.  1975 280Z.  

Anyway, weird that they chose a 75 280Z instead of a 240Z.  They're playing up the whole SAE versus metric, USA versus foreign, thread pattern BS even though modern domestics engines are all metric.  I'm sure that all of those LSX engines are metric.  Sad.  Have to see if they do more than just drive the car around the block.

Funny to see how all of these marketing things come together.  On F n' L they were talking about how the budget ended up over $80,000 because all of the parts had to be shipped over from Japan.  Just working the Japan angle, big-time.  But Big Mike says in his video that they used "AZC" suspension.  AZC is not in Japan.

He spent 30 seconds of an 8 minute video talking about how they CNC'ed the vent emblem on the side of the car to show "GM", for Gas Monkey.  Never did see the car drive.  Looks great, but not sure it goes.  Have to wait for next week's episode!  They got me.

I'm a critic.  It is a nice-looking car, and more power to Big Mike.  Make that money.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, after watching the two episodes, he actually seems like he knows what he's doing and the car does look great.  Everybody needs a sponsor if they're going to go big-time.  Seems like the Discovery Channel/Gas Monkey crew tied him in to the short time frame and it didn't really work for him.  There are some problems with the build, like the turbo next to the master cylinder, and the intake pipe that's laying on the fender well.  But he did go with a reputable Z parts manufacturer, in Arizona Z Cars, instead of California Datsun, like SpeedHunters.  So, I'd say he's more knowledgeable than the SpeedHunters crew.  The Discovery Channel/Gas Monkey crew probably made him cut some corners.  Might be why he dissociated himself from the project.  A good idea, probably, in the long run.  Fast N' Loud has jumped the shark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

• 2 months later...