IGNORED

DIY Home Built Vapor Blasting/ Honing Cabinet , wetblasting

duffymahoney

What kind of pump exactly did u end up going with? I am currently trying to decide what pump to buy and don't want to spend a ton of money if possible. I have a cabinet, but I have delrin/plastic parts machined and I need to put a nice finish on them. I think wet/vapor blasting will produce better results on my plastic then just glass beads. There isn't a lot of good diy info on the Internet about these vapor blast cabs or pumps. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This thread is great so far.

5 minutes ago, Suicideking said:

What kind of pump exactly did u end up going with? I am currently trying to decide what pump to buy and don't want to spend a ton of money if possible. I have a cabinet, but I have delrin/plastic parts machined and I need to put a nice finish on them. I think wet/vapor blasting will produce better results on my plastic then just glass beads. There isn't a lot of good diy info on the Internet about these vapor blast cabs or pumps. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This thread is great so far.

I bought two.  The first was this one.  https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=506274 It gets amazing reviews, but the manufacture told me it wouldn't last that long in the vapor environment.  

I am now using this.  It's called a trash pump and this is actually  the unit a few vapor cabinet builders are using.  Only issue is't pretty big. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PDU9EY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's not as powerful as my original pump, but it sits in my cabinet and mixes the slurry on it's own, so results are pretty much the same.  It's nicer on my hands as well.  

It’s mostly submerged. The pump is a little tall for my cabinet.

Manufacture claims the trash pump can handle just about anything. Also I know that this is the same pump the pro cabinets use. 

If I was to do this a lot I would just buy a vapor honing system. They are nicely made and take the guesswork out. I think stainless cabinet would be much nicer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new gun/ nozzle system.  I accidentally bought two so if anyone wants one let me know.  Hose is now 3/4 for the slurry pump, air is 5/8. So much much bigger.  Hopefully moves a lot more slurry.   Also the nozzle tip can be changed out.  It can be 4,5,6,8,10, 12 and 14mm.  

I found the nozzle by doing some youtube stalking of vapor honing stuff.  I kind of feel bad about it.  

IMG_4022.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a great & really helpful thread - don't mind reviving it.

Duffy where did you get the new gun/nozzle? Been looking a bit and coming up empty so far.

Does it accept the ceramic tips common to pressure blasters or some other type?

Thanks!

16 hours ago, BZB said:

This is a great & really helpful thread - don't mind reviving it.

Duffy where did you get the new gun/nozzle? Been looking a bit and coming up empty so far.

Does it accept the ceramic tips common to pressure blasters or some other type?

Thanks!

I bought it through Alibaba, but I think amazon might have the same one.  It has interchangeable tips, but they took 2 months to ship from china.