IGNORED

Annoying noise!

rcb280z

Ok before I delete my prior  novel length post and sure fire its not the knob post  let me say, ITS THE KNOB!!!!

I mean the one I got off ebay to brag about my 5 speed seems to fit perfect and tight, so Dave WM aka "mr know it all" proudly proclaims NOT MY issue. Of course I skulk out to the garage and reinstall the old 4 speed knob and bingo noise gone.

Thanks again to the group.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

Ok before I delete my prior  novel length post and sure fire its not the knob post  let me say, ITS THE KNOB!!!!

I mean the one I got off ebay to brag about my 5 speed seems to fit perfect and tight, so Dave WM aka "mr know it all" proudly proclaims NOT MY issue. Of course I skulk out to the garage and reinstall the old 4 speed knob and bingo noise gone.

Thanks again to the group.

Hahaha! That's funny Dave. Glad you were successful at it as well.  

plane is crossing the mountains, suddenly had engine trouble and is going down.

the passengers, the boy scout the priest, the richest man in the world and the smartest man in the world realize there are only 3 parachutes

the richest man proclaims "I am a rich important person that must live on", grabs a chute and jumps.

the smartest man proclais " I must live on as I must have children so my intellect will be able to improve the human race" grabs a chute and jumps.

the priest tells the boy, take the last chute and save yourself, I have lived a long and fulfilling life and I am ready to meet my maker"

to which the boy replies, "its ok father, there are 2 chutes left, the smartest man in the world jumped out with my back pack"

I know this is not the correct forum prob for jokes, but I think the point I learned is to not overthink a problem.

Edited by Dave WM
  • Like 2

I

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Haha!

Wait... You're saying that all that transmission noise you've been banging your head against was the knob?   Really?    :tapemouth:

I can't rule that out, and its driving me nutz, but I will have to accept it as a learning process.

update on the noisy knob, I just melted a bunch of solder into the large void (after inserting a bolt to keep the threads clear). Used my bolt buster to heat up a bolt and just cut bits of reg solder and put them in. The bolt would get red hot and melt the solder bits. Before it was much lighter than the other knob, now its much heavier. Will see if this has any effect.

I used the softer (removable) RTV. My wooden knobs and plastic shift maps would not have appreciated hot solder.  LOL

I'm no vibrations trained ME, but my very small amount of experience in the field has led me to the approach of damping and changing the resonant frequency of the vibrations instead of trying to prevent them with rigid means. Thinking about it like an oscillator... if the driving source is a different frequency than the resonant frequency of the load, you don't get much energy transferred to that load. It just kinda ignores it.

That's my theory on the knobs. You can't prevent the vibration. You just have to tune the knob to a frequency very different than the source.

Picture me crouched in my laboratory tuning my knobs. Wait... Ok. Don't picture that.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1