IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

Just remember the trailer fender on the driver's side lets down so you can open the car door. I didn't know that and crawled out the hatch!

I pulled my camry to the top of my driveway, trailer at the bottom, with my mower. Unhooked everything and rolled the camry right up on the trailer. Had an extra set of eyes looking out for me. You can also use a cheap cable come along. Just make sure the trailer is going downhill. 

The best engine would b the f54 block and the n42 head. Then you begin your spare parts collection.

Here’s pics of the car near me in Memphis with the N42.  I have already pulled some parts off this car.  It’s about 80 miles away.  

How hard will it be to lift and engine in and out the back of a 4Runner?

https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/image?seller=9277&partGUID=9277-1-187939&vehicleGUID=9277-1-V6236&display=1975 Nissan 280 Z Fender Assembly-Stock%23 N1774#

I've often used a come-along and the rafters in the garage.  Not a single rafter though, place a 4x4 across 4 of 5 rafters to distribute the load.  I bought a chain hoist to make it easier when I decided to swap engines.

site was on target with "spare parts collection".  I almost feel like we should be warning you...

• Haha 1

Yeah, was thinking of grabbing this engine while towing the back to NC but I won’t be able to get that sucker out of my 4runner easily.  Wife is already unhappy with  my car fetish and a spare engine lying around will only fuel her disdane.  If she caught me putting a chain around our garage rafters I’d be sleeping outside for awhile.  This might just be a bad idea.  Maybe just focus on getting this engine in the car fixed and someday rebuild it.  

I was imagining one of the old original 4Runners with the removable back half.  I wouldn't try to put a complete engine in an SUV.  Transmissions are easy, engines too bulky and heavy.

Odds are in your favor on the engine that's in there.  They are very durable, except for if the cam lobes run dry or they get overheated.

You could build a table top to set on the $100 engine as a disguise.  Picnic table maybe.

Does your '77 have the N47 head like it came with or has it been swapped out?  That's the #1 part on these motors and the N47 is the worst from all I've read.  Mine is used for experimenting, like grinding the intake ports or unshrouding the valves.

The N42 everybody likes you are reading about is the head.  The N42 block, up until 1979 has low compression dished pistons. 

My N47 head has a spray bar and an oiler cam.  It was built late 1976 and is when they started changing stuff.

Edited by siteunseen

Mine is an N47 head.  It’s as dirty as hell.  I’m going to try as clean it up but worry that crud may fall into the valves.  Can you spray carb cleaner on the head and rockers etc with it installed on the engine without causing problems?  I’ll take close up pics when I get home for you guys.  I’m sitting in a hotel near Mexico City and won’t be back in Memphis until Friday?.  Just hanging in my room researching getting the car rolling.  Just order a timing chain tool on a Amazon so I can adjust the chain/sprocket.  I also ordered a new oil pump from Partsology for $30.69 with gasket,  zcar depot wanted $9 just for gasket.  I’ll have about 12 hours to install the fuel tank and all the crap associated with it. Put a new oil pump in and set the spindle correctly, clean the oil spray bars, maybe the head and then adjust the chain timing.  

On a side note.  I was in Billings Montana last week and ran into the Z car guy in that area.  Found an add on Craigslist.  I went to his house and wow ? you would not  believe the Z cars  parts he had.  He had a 240 and 260 for sale.  Both 3k, but not running.  Looked like rust free for the most part.  He had a three car garage and a 20ft trailer full of parts.  I saw about a dozen AFMs and ECUs at least 3 engines, and every little part you could imagine.  Hatches, doors etc. He had a nice dash that he wanted 1k for.  If you guys want his contact information let me know. He also had a 280 with. V8 not for sale.  

A piece of Scotch Brite pad and diesel fuel is what I used.  With the plugs out spin the motor and watch the cam and spray bar.  You'll see which ones need attention.

I'm pretty sure @240260280 told me how to do that.  Here's a cam he cleaned up the same way.

after.jpg

before.jpg

Here's mine after rebuilding the motor.  I put a rod down into the oil pump from the dizzy hole and chucked it up to my drill.  Took about 10 seconds and with the drill on HIGH and that stuff shot out all over me.  This is the N42 head with an oiler cam.  Your N47 should have the same plus the spray bar.  

SDC10642.jpg

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I'm not sure that all 1977 N47 heads have both a spray bar and holed cam lobes.  My 1978 N47 head has only the holed cam lobes, no spray bar.  The holes are easy to see though, so it will be apparent.

I've spun a ZX engine with a gear reduction starter and got the bubbling crude through the holes.  The early starters aren't gear reduction and I think that they might spin a little faster, depending on battery size and charge.  With a spray bar you only have to worry about oil flinging from the spinning lobes, not squirting outward.  Most of the oil spillage is over the edge of the head, down the side of the block.

7 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I'm not sure that all 1977 N47 heads have both a spray bar and holed cam lobes.  My 1978 N47 head has only the holed cam lobes, no spray bar.  The holes are easy to see though, so it will be apparent.

I've spun a ZX engine with a gear reduction starter and got the bubbling crude through the holes.  The early starters aren't gear reduction and I think that they might spin a little faster, depending on battery size and charge.  With a spray bar you only have to worry about oil flinging from the spinning lobes, not squirting outward.  Most of the oil spillage is over the edge of the head, down the side of the block.

No they don't, you're right. 

early '77s do, not sure of the month though.  Mine was built in September of '76.

This looks a little weird to me.  It's round but way too big.  Maybe it's a stopped up hole?

n47 hole.png