IGNORED

Can I buy internals for a high/low beam switch?

Grubb240Z

The lever on the column of my '72 240Z does not activate the high/low beams. I am stuck in high beam mode. The turn signals work, but the lever flops loosely from front to back.

I haven't had the thing apart to look at it yet, but this will likely be my first fix on the car once I bring it home (it's hidden at a friend's until I give it to my son for Christmas). I'm sure I can find a video to show how to remove the steering wheel and expose the internals on the mechanism, but I am concerned that I might not be able to find the parts I need. The guys at MSA told me that they don't think the thing I need is being made by anyone, and they certainly don't have it. Is it possible that all I need is to replace a spring of some sort?

Any advanced advice welcome, but I'll take it apart ASAP and look into it myself.

It's likely that the dimmer switch body or terminal plate is broken.
No, nobody carries those parts. But, I do offer a complete rebuild of the turn signal switch and the headlight/wiper combo switch.
I charge $70 per switch or $135 for the pair to be rebuilt and or refurbished.

On a side note, 
You don't need to remove the steering wheel to remove the 2 switches.
The black steering column cover is easily removed with about 5 screws on the bottom half of the shell.
Then you'll see 2 screws holding the 2 switches together on the steering column. Unscrew them and carefully unplug all their connections.

Message me here or through the website for shipping and payment details.
Congrats on the new purchase and good luck,
Dave

• Like 1

The lever on the column of my '72 240Z does not activate the high/low beams. I am stuck in high beam mode. The turn signals work, but the lever flops loosely from front to back.
I haven't had the thing apart to look at it yet, but this will likely be my first fix on the car once I bring it home (it's hidden at a friend's until I give it to my son for Christmas). I'm sure I can find a video to show how to remove the steering wheel and expose the internals on the mechanism, but I am concerned that I might not be able to find the parts I need. The guys at MSA told me that they don't think the thing I need is being made by anyone, and they certainly don't have it. Is it possible that all I need is to replace a spring of some sort?
Any advanced advice welcome, but I'll take it apart ASAP and look into it myself.

Do you need the whole switch or just parts. I came send some parts it you cover shipping.
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, 7tooZ said:

Do you need the whole switch or just parts. I came send some parts it you cover shipping.

Don

Don, I wanna thank you for your offer. It was very nice. This is a great forum, full of helpful and generous people. I am using Dave’s (Zs-Ondabrain) rebuild service. He sent me a pair of loaner switches while he works on mine. He put my rebuilt switches in the mail yesterday and I should get them early next week. I will post how it all went.

Edited by Grubb240Z
misspelling
  • Like 1

Yep. Shipped them out yesterday and you'll have them on Monday.

Your headlight dimmer switch was completely missing from the previous owner cutting it out.

When you send the loaners back, I'll be posting them up for sale. Probably $350 for the rebuilt pair with free shipping.

Please let me/us know how it goes and your impressions on the switches and service. It's been great dealing with you Mr. Grubb...

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: 

I received my refreshed, repaired and rejuvenated switches from @Zs-ondabrain a couple of weeks ago. I've been so busy and my son is gone in the car so much that I haven't had the chance to drive it until tonight. Wow! The switches feel brand new!

I could see that they looked new when they arrived. The first thing I did after the very quick and easy installation was check to see that the high/low switch works and it does, perfectly. So great to get rid of the mickey-mousey toggle switch the previous owner installed when he couldn't fix it. Too bad he didn't know about Dave's service.

Not only did Dave turn around my switches in a couple of days and get them right back in the mail, but he provided a pair of loaner switches so we could keep the car on the road while he worked on ours. I don't think he usually has a spare pair around to do that (so don't assume this is normal), but it was a really great help to us. Thank you, Dave!

I thought the right-side switch stalk was operating pretty well, but I sent it in with the broken (left side) switch since Dave gives a discount for doing both at the same time. I figured it'd  be good for my peace of mind. But the headlight on/off twist switch works so well now, I realize it wasn't operating properly before. It's so crisp and new feeling. It ads a great new sensation to the experience of driving our Z.

I can't say enough about this service. Click HERE to see the page on his site for the service. If your switches feel sloppy/tired or don't work, I really recommend you reach out to Dave.

Looking forward to upgrading to his headlight and taillight harnesses - I hear they are fantastic upgrades.

Thank you again, Dave, for the great service!

Edited by Grubb240Z
re-wrote for better clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1