IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

So I pulled the plugs after work

20180427_162049.jpg20180427_162105.jpg

Pig rich and 1 & 4 are wet. Oil wet I believe. We cleaned them good and put them back in. Ran it at idle for 15 minutes or more. Never really warmed up. so I sent him around the block. He overheated in less than a mile turned around and got home. We still haven't looked to see how low it is. Looking for a pressure tester now...

• Sad 1

I just went and did a compression test. I did it cold because I didn't want to run the car anymore until I have a little better hold on what's going on.

#1   135

#2   120

#3   127

#4   135

Not conclusive, as the spread isn't that bad, but the middle two are low. Maybe a leaks in between the middle two?

12 hours ago, Patcon said:

Maybe a leaks in between the middle two?

Take a test on #2 again, and another on #2 again but now with a plug thight in #3.. if it differs your headgasket leaks between # 2 and #3 ...  (or bad rings.. is another..)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martzedcars said:

Take a test on #2 again, and another on #2 again but now with a plug thight in #3.. if it differs your headgasket leaks between # 2 and #3 ...  (or bad rings.. is another..)

That's a good idea!

Ok. Here's the latest.

I forgot to Martzedcars trick...:blush:

We did another compression test

Dry        Wet       Leak test

#1    142       157         28%

#2     120      163         47%

#3     128      151         33%

#4     140      160         38%

For the wet test, I shot 3 squirts of oil into each cylinder. The number came up dramatically. All of this is on a cold engine. I believe the leak test numbers were also influenced by the rings too because the numbers would inch up like the oil was being blown out from around the rings.

I am still waiting on a coolant system tester to pressurize the system and look for leaks...

3 hours ago, Martzedcars said:

:cry:

Hi, when i see those figures i would take that engine apart completely, think your rings are history... :(   A full revision is inescapable..

24 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

Still doesn’t tell you where the water is going......I’d get me a used L18......fully counter balanced crank and a little more pop! Send your motor over the “Datsun Rainbow Bridge!”   

I agree the engine will need to be replaced, and it still doesn't tell where the water is going. I will probably try to get this engine running for a little while longer just so the car isn't broken down for an extended period of time. that will buy me some time to build up a better engine