IGNORED

Regulator / Gauge - Do I Need It?

w3wilkes

@jalexquijano Sitting here thinking back to what I believe was the original problem, which was the plugs loading up and getting sooty at idle, I visited the "WayBack Machine" and remembered something from long ago that I ran into. Another possibility that would cause that condition is a barely leaking needle(s) and seats and or excessive fuel pressure. Theoretically, a less than perfect (but not belching fuel terrible) seal can allow excess fuel to bypass the needle and seat and raise the float level at idle when the engine is using the least fuel, causing a rich mixture. The longer it idles the higher the fuel rises in the float chamber. As the engine rpm's and load increase the excess fuel in the float chamber is used and the fuel level returns to normal. Did you ever notice plugs 1, 2, and 3 being lighter or darker than 4, 5 or 6? A possible sign of one carb leaking. Kind of a shot in the dark but your symptoms seem to relate to this. It 's not that uncommon in carbs. Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, jalexquijano said:

Yes it just had a little of idling time at the garage and short traffic lights. I read in another forum that i could have a vacuum leak somewhere and that it be causing the plugs to foul sooty black at idle. Do you concur?

A vacuum leak would add more air to the mixture. The normal symptom of a vacuum leak is a higher RPM at idle. Remember, anytime you suspect a lean condition, you can ease the choke on and see if performance improves.