IGNORED

Subaru differential stub axles

7tooZ

15 hours ago, George_Zed said:

I found these and I post them for discussion...

I think that the price of a quaife is reasonable if it is a bolt on fitment...

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/nissan-240z-110mm-c-w-quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential

the price of tractionconcepts is really good but how about quality? what's the difference in comparison with quaife? is this also a bolt on fit?

http://www.tractionconcepts.com/Datsun-Nissan-240Z-280Z-300Z-R180-Lsd-Kit-p/tcxda6511.htm

anyone has experience on these?

any comments on these links? quaife price is £715.00  ($937) and the tractionconcepts is only $349 . I thought with this price I would get some comments.

Any experience on the tractionconcepts diff?

You're in Greece George, which seems like a foreign country to us.  Shipping costs make those options not worth considering, for us, over here.

The Traction Concepts product and others like it are generally seen as cheap, low quality options, to get both wheels to spin.  Not "real" performance products.  More of a gimmicky work around, one step below a welded diff.  I don't think I've seen anyone on any of the Z car forums I've been around actually buy one and use it.  It's surprising that the product is still available.

One interesting thing about the Subie diffs are that there are two types, Torsen and clutch.  So you have to make that choice, if it matters to you.  Another thought is that it's actually fairly simple to change gear ratios, via a new ring and pinion gear set.  The cost comes in having a good shop set the clearances back to spec. correctly, after installation. 

One thing that's fairly common to do is to assume that the backlash and the bearing preload will stay in spec if only the carrier is changed.  I know that certain skilled people on this forum have done that with R200's and been fine.  It's common across OEM diffs, the housings are the wide-spec. parts but the carriers are typically precise and accurate.  They can be swapped, across gears and housings.  But then you can have those night sweats that gnosez gets.

I just went through all of this with a Ford diff, swapping an LSD diff and carrier in to an open diff housing.  There's a bunch of different ways to get it done, but that means there's a bunch of different ways to make a mistake too.  There's a ton of videos and instructions out there.  It's a fun DIY, and even if you choose to have a shop do it at least you'll know what they're talking about.

And here's another option, the Cusco, which seems to get good marks. https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/limited-slip-differentials/cus-lsd-182-l15-cusco-rs-rear-lsd-1-5-way-r180

image.png

Obviously, the work will make you chew your nails...  eeeew...

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:26 AM, George_Zed said:

any comments on these links? quaife price is £715.00  ($937) and the tractionconcepts is only $349 . I thought with this price I would get some comments.

wayAny experience on the tractionconcepts diff?

Interesting options for someone who wants to build a specific differential and can do the labor themselves. Neither have popped up on my Radar so cant comment. My goal was to determine if there is a low budget way to add LSD to a 240Z. I have a line on both a 2004 & 2005 STI diff with 3.90 gears. I am leaning toward the Silver Mine stub axles to maintain the low cost goal. Looks like it will be close to the $1000 mark. That assumes the diff does not have to be opened. Moelk is the only one who has responded to having used them and indicates no issues.

What gear oil does Subaru recommend?

And do they suggest a friction modifier as well?

I ask because there was a Z at VIR who installed an LSD diff before coming to the track and forgot to put in the additive. He trailered his car home after two 25 minute sessions. Diff was making a loud noise and I recorded a cover temp in excess of 300 degrees F.

7 hours ago, gnosez said:

What gear oil does Subaru recommend?

And do they suggest a friction modifier as well?

I ask because there was a Z at VIR who installed an LSD diff before coming to the track and forgot to put in the additive. He trailered his car home after two 25 minute sessions. Diff was making a loud noise and I recorded a cover temp in excess of 300 degrees F.

I use Motul PA90 in my 2005 STI's differential.  (R-180)