IGNORED

Flow Rate and P/N Of Original Factory Injectors

Captain Obvious

Does anyone have a number for the flow rate of the original OEM factory injectors?

And how about a Bosch P/N for the original? Anyone have documentation for this kind of info?

I'm sure it's out there, but I'm also sure someone else has already gone hunting and has that info at their fingertips.

Here are a few references, but none specifically connect the 280Z to the data.  It's kind of generally accepted that the Bosch 0-028-150-105 is the model for the Nissan injectors.  The part number molded in to the Nissan injectors is the same for all of the varieties of the time, so it's not worth a lot.  And the different part numbers for the early Bosch injectors seem to relate only to hose length, but the injector is identical.  So, there's a range of early Bosch injector numbers that will work, with a hose length change.

Anyway, these three links are worth browsing through.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/injectors/index.html

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm#BOSCH

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectordata1.php (hose end sheet)

^ As NZ linked to.  Original injectors for Nissan were a JECS.  JECS was a subsidiary of Hitachi that worked in co-operation with Bosch so that Bosch could access the Japanese market... according to Wiki. 

Edited by Chickenman

Thanks guys. I've continued my web digging, and it just gets worse. Fans out like a spider web to a thousand different numbers and options.

I've got aftermarket (salmon colored) in my car now, so I can't even look there. I also can't test them and use that as a "standard" because they were put in by my PO and I have no idea what he used, or if they are the correct ones or not.

22 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It's kind of generally accepted that the Bosch 0-028-150-105 is the model for the Nissan injectors.

Zed Head, Can you please double check that P/N you mentioned?

There seems to be at least one dyslexic style typo in that number, and maybe more than one? Can you take a look?

Other avenues and places where I've found info?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've got two Bosch catalogs here that don't have a listing for the Z, but have a listing for the ZX. Both of those catalogs list Bosch P/N 1 660 062 060 for the injector. But it's not the typical 0 280 start to the P/N and I can find very little info online about it.

Tomco catalog says their P/N 15511:
http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/fuel injectors (port).pdf

And there's an interchange section near the end of the catalog where they say Tomco 15511 crosses to a whole bunch of Bosch injectors, including the 105.

Says Bosch 0 280 150 125

Bostech (remanufacturer) catalog says:

Lists a whole bunch of Nissan numbers and crosses them to their rebuilt version Bostech number MP4210.

I'd just buy the appropriate injectors from Motor Man or Injector Rehab. I got a set of re-man Standard Blue Streak FJ3's for $165 a couple of years back. But it looks like the supplier has run out of them. The FJ3's work just dandy. They are the stock 188cc re-man's. 

Edit: 280Z and 280ZX ( NA ) have the exact same injector.  

Edited by Chickenman

Here's a typical general reference, below.  I think that finding Bosch injectors in your 280ZX is like finding a 10 ohm resistor in the coolant sensor line on your 280Z.  Somebody like us either figured things out back in the 80's or a cross-reference list existed.  I am 99% certain that Bosch changed their part number with the length of the hose.  I think that the range ran from 105 to 120, as you can see in that spreadsheet.

Until somebody finds that cross-reference, there will be no certainty, beside the reality that many people use them and that they work very well. 

I have another old source I can paw through, from a guy who who really understood the system, even suggesting modifying the AFM traces to tune it.  He might have mentioned something.  I'll have to dig it up though.  It's good reading.

Here's a link to one post in that ancient blog.  The links to the source are at the top if you want to dig through more.  It's on-topic but doesn't cover your question.  Search "Bosch" in it and you'll find a good post from a Ford guy.  Even Ford was color-coding injectors back then.

http://yarchive.net/car/injectors.html

I have to confess that I might be the one that connected the range of Bosch part numbers together.  I have found many of the 0 028 150 116's in the local yards on 280ZX's, back, 5 years ago, when the yards had a regular supply of Z's and ZX's.  I ran a set on my 280Z for while until one sprung a leak (they're on the shelf, waiting for me to find that one replacement.  Even though I don't even use that style any more).  I think that all of the evidence I've seen has been anecdotal, like Fast Woman's story, and my wrecking yard finds, and my projections are based on those and data like the Stan Weiss table, and Chickenman's comments.

There's got to be a cross-ref list out there somewhere.

ZH, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that the same base injector with different lengths of rubber tubing resulted in multiple Bosch part numbers. Muddies the waters looking for potential replacements, but makes perfect sense. And thanks for the additional info. I read through the old mailing list blog, and there's some good stuff in there.

I really wish I could figure out some way to verify that the injectors in my car are appropriate. My PO was known to make some questionable choices in the pursuit of performance, and I don't know if he thought "well larger injectors will give more gas, and more gas means more power, right?" That would be the kind of thing he would do, and I have no way to know for sure.

I guess I could assume the prevalent belief target of 188cc/min to be accurate and measure a couple of mine to see if they're anywhere close to that.

Yours don't have any numbers or letters molded in to the plastic at all?  No A46......1?  The colors fade over the years. 

I have a bunch of old injectors.  Here's a picture of one of a set of six, that look awful but were perfectly balanced on my little full-rate wide open flow tester.  The other side says Made in Japan.  I had them on my car for a while but took them off when I started trying to solve the heat soak problem.  They're still on the rail.  They came from my 1978 parts car, the rusted hulk that keeps on giving.  I have some of the Bosch injectors also.  You can have either of them if you can use them.  

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
Made in Japan

Here's some internet fun.  I took one of your Bostech pdf file numbers and Googled it.  I got some 280Z references.  So I put it in to the CourtesyParts site and it comes up, but is discontinued and undefined.  Looking like Nissan did not identify more than the package for their injectors.  Lose the paperwork or package and it becomes unknown.

image.png

image.png