IGNORED

Single stage or dual stage

Sharkboy99999

This will probably start an extended debate.  Are you spraying it or having it professionally done?  IMHO there isn't anything wrong with single stage.  I did my car in single stage and it looks great.  
I will be spraying it. I have sprayed both just not on a full car.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Sharkboy99999 said:

I will be selling my 77 280z after i paint it.

I'll provide a different opinion.... If you are painting the car "just to sell it" and I were the buyer, then I would probably prefer that you not paint it at all.

That way, not only could I choose the style and color of paint I prefer, but I could also verify the integrity of the underlying metal instead of having potential issues hidden under fresh paint only to have them become visible shortly after purchase.

The last two cars I bought were painted by the PO with the express intention of selling the car and I would have paid more for both of them if they hadn't been painted in the first place. So it all depends on who you're after.

Maybe offer the car at two prices? Painted, or as it stands?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sharkboy99999 said:

I will be spraying it. I have sprayed both just not on a full car.

So... based on my own experience I'll offer this.

I am not a professional and, in fact this was the first time I ever painted a car. 

Single stage CAN be cut and buffed to remove minor, um, imperfections, but from what I have read, base + clear coat can be a little more fixable.  For example, if a gnat lands in your base coat, you can fix it before you clearcoat and no one will know the difference.  Same deal in the clear, if that gnat lands in it now, you can cut the clearcoat and not worry about burning through you color.   

• Like 1

I have sprayed both and generally stay with what the factory did.   For me, the only positive of single stage over 2 stage is it takes less time and is generally less expensive...shoot, that's two things.  If metallic, always 2 stage.  I usually paint the clear right over minor "dust" that lands in the color coat when spraying 2 stage.  The clear hides it well after cut and buff.  I really don't see how you would get anything out of the color coat anyway (I don't let the color coat dry before shooting the clear).  With metallic, you are not sanding the color coat anyway without ruining it.

With my new to me '72 (purchased 3/17), I am doing spot rust repairs and repainting with the proper color mix of Dupont Fulthane (single stage).  afterward, the entire body will eventually get repainted.

Right, and that's my point. If it's so friken ugly now that it simply won't sell without a coat of paint, then I'd be worried you're putting lipstick on a pig. On the other hand, if it's not so bad now, then let the new owner make that decision.

Just don't spray a quick, cheap coat of paint over poor prep and rusty metal and then offload a temporarily, shiny looking, hidden rust problem car onto some other unsuspecting owner in... where are you... in the US.

How about some pics of the car as it is and we can give some more detailed input?

• Like 1

Right, and that's my point. If it's so friken ugly now that it simply won't sell without a coat of paint, then I'd be worried you're putting lipstick on a pig. On the other hand, if it's not so bad now, then let the new owner make that decision.
Just don't spray a quick, cheap coat of paint over poor prep and rusty metal and then offload a temporarily, shiny looking, hidden rust problem car onto some other unsuspecting owner in... where are you... in the US.
How about some pics of the car as it is and we can give some more detailed input?
All the rust has been fixed and will have pictures backing it up. I built this to keep but ended up getting a 240z