IGNORED

Speedometer Cable Grommet 1972 240Z

52crankman

Just purchased a replacement cable from Motorsport Auto and have a problem with the grommet that came assembled to it.  It looks like they assembled the incorrect grommet.   As you can see the new grommet is much larger.  The hole is only 7/8” dia.  The old grommet OD is 1-1/8” and the new one is 1-1/2”.  I cannot squeeze the new one into the hole.  They say this is the only way it comes.  Has anyone else ordered and used this cable.  If so, what did you do to get it to fit?

speedo grommet.jpg

Aside from the obvious size discrepancy, is that light I see beside the cable where it passes through the grommet? Doesn't the grommet throat seal to the cable OD? I mean, why have a grommet at all with that?

I've just gone through this exercise, using a re-pop grommet from 240ZRubber.  Their grommet fits well, relative to both the cable (ID) and the firewall hole (OD).  However, there's no way that the grommet's ID could be stretched enough to fit over the cable's metal end fitting (same at both ends, BTW).  And believe me, I tried.  I had to slice the grommet and then use KrazeeGlue to bond the cut edges after I installed it over the cable.  This particular grommet is made from a stiffer material than the original, so it was a struggle to make it fit into the firewall hole.  In the process, my glue joint gave up.  However, the cut edges aligned nicelly once the grommet seated into place and now you'd never know it was cut.

I'm going to guess that MSA discovered the same challenge... and came up with a bad solution:  a grommet that fits over the cable end fitting but won't fit into the firewall hole.  I recommend you just buy the grommet from 240ZRubber and be done with it.