IGNORED

71 Z sells for $38,250 on Bring-a-Trailer

Namerow

The seller opted not to complete the a/c system because it was a dealer installed option, and wanted to leave it up to the buyer depending where the car was going.

A very nice car,  the documentation was good,  and he offered to change the fender mirrors to the stock door mounted one, plus complete the body & paint work associated with the change.   Pretty good in my book.

I will add my .02 to this.  The seller is Robert Jackson, a dealer in Oklahoma.  He is on FB and posts on all the Datsun Z pages about what he is working on and about to put up for auction.  He is a dealer and has like 8 or 9 240z's.  He sold a blue w/white interior car several months ago for around $27K.  I spoke to him about it after the sale and he indicated he lost money on it.  $38K for the silver 240z seems good but also fair.  Not too long ago a very correct nut and bolt restored 240z went for $60K at an auction in Hungary so $38K for a not so correct but ready to enjoy 240z seems right.

I watch the market all the time, BAT, eBay, CL, FB, etc.  Prices are going up but supply is starting to meet demand at the lower and mid price levels.  However, really well restored cars do not come up that often and Robert's silver car checks a lot of boxes for a lot of people.  I don't agree with everything they did but it was what it was and was well documented.  Based on all the pictures he provided he and his crew did a ton of work to that car.  At the end of the day the right buyer bought the car and paid what he thought it was worth.

From "looking to the future" standpoint, these kinds of prices work in everyone's favor.  More cars will continue to come to market at all price levels (remember, cash is still king when you go hunting), current owners will continue to see their cars appreciate, and hopefully more parts will become available.

As many of these Z’s as he has going at once I was worried the value of mine would go down when he floods the market - lol.

Maybe there is hope for my resto mod on my 70! No way to make mine numbers matching so I’ll have to hope that it gets a twinkle in someone’s eye . 

I think the fact that everything is freshly done , paint , interior , etc... elevates value - especially on a clean car to start with. At 38 k , not sure how much he made for his labor . Correct or not , it’s a nice car and tastefully done . I’d much rather have had Hazmats car for that kind of money myself:)

12 hours ago, Namerow said:

The seller said somewhere in the Q&A comments that he installed the later-style console because the original was in poor shape and a replacement was impossible* to find.

* Impossible? Almost never the case.  Expensive?  You bet!

I suspect he went with the later style console because he swapped the transmission since the older style would no longer fit. Not working around a older console is one less thing for him to deal with.  One post said he converted to a 5 speed and his console had no issues.  How does that work?  I trimmed a perfectly good old style console to get a type B to fit and regretted it every since.  Now I have later style console until I try the cut+weld solution with a shift lever.