IGNORED

FS5W71B 280zx transmisson rebuild

Dave WM

Whoo Hoo, it works great! I just decided to go ahead and install the rebuilt trans and see how it sounds, no different from the 4speed now, so what ever the problem was the rebuild/gear seems to have fixed it. I made sure all the gear were working and shifting well, did not get a chance to really open it up but I did get in into 5th and all gears were noise free. I figured more testing would take as much time as just installing it and hearing what it sounded like. While I was in there I replaced the throw out bearing (used the press to install in a spare hub). could not see any oil leakage from behind the cover plate (no dripping but as long as I was in there figured it would be worth peeking in to see how the main and side seals looked). Tomorrow I will get it out on the highway to really wring it out. I did take a quick check of the speedo, all seems good there, I knew the right pinion was installed (black for a 3.54) but I just wanted to make sure the cable itself was properly seated.

The only test I can do now is to see if any gears pop out with more spirted driving than my brief test was able to accomplish.

• 1 year later...

Recently found a close ratio 5 speed from a 83 ZX. I understand it’s a “FS5W71B” transmission. Searching for a rebuild kit with synchro’s. I’ve found kits for suffix models “C” & “E” etc. but none referencing “B”.  I hear Transtar is reputable but not having any luck finding a kit. Any information would be much appreciated.

I think that somebody somewhere produced a database years ago that all of the transmission parts companies are using.  They all have the same errors.

If I recall right, many of the kits are called 71A kits, when they are actually for 71B transmissions.  Look at the year of the car, not the label of the transmission.

Be aware though that some of the synchros in some of the kits aren't that good.  There is a very recent thread where somebody described the parts that they got for a rebuild and they seemed of good quality.  I think that I posted in it, which might help a search.  I'll post a link if I find it.  Browse around in the meantime.

13 hours ago, Yarb said:

Recently found a close ratio 5 speed from a 83 ZX. I understand it’s a “FS5W71B” transmission. Searching for a rebuild kit with synchro’s. I’ve found kits for suffix models “C” & “E” etc. but none referencing “B”.  I hear Transtar is reputable but not having any luck finding a kit. Any information would be much appreciated.

you maybe better off just replacing the front and rear seals and giving it a try. They are not that hard to install. Then if you have  a problem do a rebuild.

2 hours ago, Dave WM said:

you maybe better off just replacing the front and rear seals and giving it a try. They are not that hard to install. Then if you have  a problem do a rebuild.

Probably will give it a try. Currently has the r180 3.54 ratio. I’m converting the automatic over to manual finally. Dave, are the diffs easy enough to have checked out other than replacing the ears as well? The parts car is a 83 ZX.

Probably will give it a try. Currently has the r180 3.54 ratio. I’m converting the automatic over to manual finally. Dave, are the diffs easy enough to have checked out other than replacing the ears as well? The parts car is a 83 ZX.