Jump to content
duffymahoney

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

All cnc’d, so they don’t need to match.

I know they don't need to match. I'm just coming from the mindset that it's always easier and cheaper to make two of the same thing than two different things.

One less CAD file to work the bugs out of. One less dry run walkthrough on the CNC mill. One less prototype part that needs to be made. One less part that needs to be tweaked to work as intended... All of that. I know it's just disposable time and money. More power to you if you have enough of both.    LOL 

As for the mounting bracket holes... Are they deep enough that you could leave a thin wall at the bottom of the hole (so they are blind and vacuum tight) and then pierce through that thin wall in the few locations where you need a vacuum source? You could do that final poke through drilling at home with a hand drill if necessary. Not a precision operation. That could give you best of both worlds?

Lastly... If this project actually does come to fruition, please keep rough tabs on the costs? I'd be interested in a final tally to use as a benchmark for a potential project of my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I know they don't need to match. I'm just coming from the mindset that it's always easier and cheaper to make two of the same thing than two different things.

One less CAD file to work the bugs out of. One less dry run walkthrough on the CNC mill. One less prototype part that needs to be made. One less part that needs to be tweaked to work as intended... All of that. I know it's just disposable time and money. More power to you if you have enough of both.    LOL 

As for the mounting bracket holes... Are they deep enough that you could leave a thin wall at the bottom of the hole (so they are blind and vacuum tight) and then pierce through that thin wall in the few locations where you need a vacuum source? You could do that final poke through drilling at home with a hand drill if necessary. Not a precision operation. That could give you best of both worlds?

Lastly... If this project actually does come to fruition, please keep rough tabs on the costs? I'd be interested in a final tally to use as a benchmark for a potential project of my own.

All great info. I wish I had a few more intakes to look at as far as linkage, location of arms etc...

Next is test cutting it out of a plastic or perhaps aluminum. 

Im not worried about the holes going through and sealing, but that being said I like your idea of not having them go all the way. That would be easy to do. 

Cost will be more then current intakes. But this should look like a work of art when done. Customizable. Could be anodized,  Racing logos, bores, the cad file could also be used for efi intakes. 

I don’t have the cad skills, a buddy is helping me and will sell these if anyone is interested.  He has two amazing cnc mills.  He owns prototype and design company and also his dad owns a super high end auto build shop. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Woody928 said:

Haha I will be even more envious if you pick up a set of those as well! I would love triple OER's however they are way down the list sadly.... 

Cool CAD skills. 

I have 11 Mikuni carbs:) I have been hoarding. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Adopt me?  ROFL

I require minimal maintenance.

Trading most of them for things I want/ need.  I will be left with just a set of triple 44s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry... I wasn't clear. I want to be adopted by this guy:

"a buddy has two amazing cnc mills.  He owns prototype and design company and also his dad owns a super high end auto build shop." 

  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old clutch slave decided to leak. It probably didn't like the nice new clean brake fluid:) NOS clutch slave, spring and hose going in today.  I hope it this is the last thing that breaks for a while.  

IMG_3528.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boy oh boy is that not the truth!  Our cars, plumbing and electrical at home plus a lot of girls I've met seem to be untouchable without more problems downstream. Gives another meaning to "you touch it, you bought it". LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One set of my 11 Mikuni's are coming back from Premo! They are currently setup for my stock 2.4L. These are vapor blasted and they will go on that cnc intake I'm making, I think they will look good next to that. I'm hopeful this makes my motor sound more like what I want, and I don't have to build a motor for my series 1. I have another set of triples that were so nice I didn't want to blast, they will be setup for a stroker build.

45 Pump Nozzle

57.5 Pilots

145 Main Fuel

200 Main Air

 

IMG_3581.jpg

Edited by duffymahoney
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My overall goal when going triples is to keep it period correct as possible or at least looking period correct.  This is a 73 bracket and a 70-73 Nismo electric fuel pump.  I guess it could have been ordered as early as 70.  I believe it should bolt right on with zero modifications.  Bracket is powder coated and pump is NOS.  

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well traded my harada for a more period correct SK intake.  This might be one of my favorite triple intakes.  Allows me to run stock linkage.  I got all new parts for it through OER.  Should look very nice when done.  

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my 3 best mikuni 44's didn't have the same patina, these had been rebuilt by a legend.  I made the decision to try and take them 95% apart myself, vapor blast and put them back together.  Honestly most of the process made perfect sense.  I am pretty detail oriented, so I just took my time and took lots of pictures.  The throttle shafts and pins are the hardest part.  So far the only thing I think i screwed up is one of the butterfly valves isn't seated 100%.  I am going to take each carb off and double check no light passes by when closed.  I am getting a high idle, which I believe is from that.  

 

I installed a nismo fuel pump with my 73 bracket, bolted right in.  Hoses were easy to install.  I installed a inertia switch/ rollover switch for the electric fuel pump (factory used a oil pressure switch).  Since I have it attached to the stock spot on the ignition.  Also a 14amp fuse.  Looks factory.  I wanted to use the stock fuel rail, I like the way it looks.  I also re- zinc'd a bunch of smalls for the intake and carbs.  So far I am very happy with how they sound.  Now time to sell my z therapy carbs.  Don't judge the fuel fitting.  The correct one is on order.  

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Some pictures of the fuel pump install. 

Nice and tidy. I wish everyone did work like that! Great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lordkarma88 said:

Nice and tidy. I wish everyone did work like that! Great job.

Thank you. I am trying to make whatever i do as nice as it can be done. By a hobbyist   .The interia switch was actually the first hole I have drilled in my z. It worried me a little.  I screwed up the the butterfly’s a little on the Mikuni’s. They are now all set pretty perfect. I can see a sliver of light when closed. 

The heat shield I bought doesn’t fit. Weirdly the carbs stay nice and cool. My header is ceramic coated. Maybe that’s enough? Also the header design keeps the pipes pretty far away from the carbs. Thoughts? Anyone? 

Next goals.

Next is taking the starter apart and zinc, vapor blast and paint it. 

Re zinc the horns, they have over spray on them.

Pull oil pan, powder coat and re zinc all the bolts  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This car really is immaculate, I love what has been done having read back through quite a number of pages. The colour combo is also fantastic, and those mikunis looks the business! ?

Out of curiosity how big a difference did ceramic coating your header make? I'm getting a Zstory system in January next year and not sure whether to consider ceramic coating of not after quite a few comments made. 

Edited by Woody928

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Woody928 said:

This car really is immaculate, I love what has been done having read back through quite a number of pages. The colour combo is also fantastic, and those mikunis looks the business! ?

Out of curiosity how big a difference did ceramic coating your header make? I'm getting a Zstory system in January next year and not sure whether to consider ceramic coating of not after quite a few comments made. 

Thank you. Honestly the paint job (70s respray )is $^!#. But makes me want to drive it more. I doubt I will ever repaint it. 

This company did the coating 

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Thank you. Honestly the paint job (70s respray )is $^!#. But makes me want to drive it more. I doubt I will ever repaint it. 

This company did the coating 

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

 

 

Honestly that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, looks very presentable and also get used! I much prefer cars with character rather than factory fresh paint.... ?

Thanks, I've looked at a couple local to me. Just need to decide if its necessary or not... 

Edited by Woody928

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil catch can is done (some ebay smaller aluminum one). Time to drive it! The goal was stock looking as possible, also no holes drilled. This is two pvc hoses spliced together with a 5/8 brass union, the pre- bends worked awesome and looks like I meant it to happen. Catch can has a nice little drain on the bottom.  

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4294.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great and I hate to nit pick but those tractor hose clamps scare me. Too many of mine ate through the fuel lines on my setup...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.