duffymahoney

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

On 6/2/2018 at 2:11 PM, Diseazd said:

I very carefully masked them off......BTW...Your car looks terrific......nice job!!

Thanks! It's been fun, I love having a paint job I don't care about.  I can actually use the car:)

Working on a Nikki fuel pump for my series 1. 

My 240z didn’t come with the original fuel pump. 

Bought this one on eBay and also a nos one from Datsun 500 for 30$. The plan is to use the screws and all the rubber gaskets and internals. It’s a little more haggered then I would have wanted. Hopefully it comes out nice. The internals of the pumps are identical. 

I will vapor blast the 240z Nikki body and it should look brand new. I am using this write up for guidance. 

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/50679-rebuilding-the-nikki-fuel-pump/

ED161B8B-9883-4F76-9B97-FF8198520792.jpeg

DA709906-9A3D-4350-A16D-52C8574AA227.jpeg

89B4510A-DF59-497E-B58A-842121F1BC87.jpeg

8D89BCC7-2FFA-4CA9-9AF5-D7B1658EB84C.jpeg

• Like 2

I tore a seal on the shaft of the fuel pump. The one that keeps gas from going in the head in case of an rip and keeps oil from the engine bay out of the fuel pump. 

Someone said the GMB 550-8040 was exactly the same inside. That isn’t true but it’s close. Their seal is actually a better design and works and should function perfectly. So now 3 fuel pumps to make one nikki pump. Still I’m below 100$ total into the project. She looks amazing. 

AA80BBF5-E710-496A-AE0E-B3A26D6BE877.jpeg

8D946366-0CFA-4509-9442-50D62F99D62E.jpeg

9814CDEE-FC64-46AF-B4CC-8DFA190E9076.jpeg

CBD5495D-B89A-44FB-9354-EF26062E9ACF.jpeg

Edited by duffymahoney
  • Like 3

Beautiful build. You're doing an awesome job. Thanks for chronicling and sharing it.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

* Where did you get your parts zinc coated? I live in the Seattle area and am curious.
* Do you have your own vapor blaster? If so which model and where did you get it?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bluedar said:

Beautiful build. You're doing an awesome job. Thanks for chronicling and sharing it.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

* Where did you get your parts zinc coated? I live in the Seattle area and am curious.
* Do you have your own vapor blaster? If so which model and where did you get it?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Thank you! I’m having a lot of fun. 

I have used several zinc shops over the years. I would suggest a local shop since shipping gets expensive. I use a shop in Spokane wa or Portland Oregon most of the time. 

I built my own vapor blasting rig. I did a detailed thread on here about it. 

• Like 1

Awesome job chronicaling your build.  I am hopefully about to start a similiar project except the car is Blue.  I really wanted Safari Gold but just couldn’t find the right one.  I have done one other car much in the way you did this one, a 77 280z.  Looking forward to starting the 240.  Great job!

On 6/23/2018 at 2:06 AM, Jaymanbikes said:

Awesome job chronicaling your build.  I am hopefully about to start a similiar project except the car is Blue.  I really wanted Safari Gold but just couldn’t find the right one.  I have done one other car much in the way you did this one, a 77 280z.  Looking forward to starting the 240.  Great job!

Thank you.  The seal from the GMB 550-8040 tore.  So I had to buy another Nos lizzy from another datsun.  Oh well.  

I meant the lizzy part.  I looked back and found your other reference to "3 pumps to make one lizzy".  Haven't seen the word lizzy used for anything before.  Don't know what a lizzy is.  Maybe I'm just blanking on it.

No biggy.  Carry on.  

I meant nikki:)  The stock fuel pump.  

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I meant the lizzy part.  I looked back and found your other reference to "3 pumps to make one lizzy".  Haven't seen the word lizzy used for anything before.  Don't know what a lizzy is.  Maybe I'm just blanking on it.

No biggy.  Carry on.  

Edited by duffymahoney
  • Haha 1

I have been driving it every chance I get.  I enjoy it so much.  Ac blows cold enough, but the fan is so loud I mostly prefer driving with the windows down.  Last week I pressed the clutch in, and boom, warm clutch fluid squirted onto my leg.  Then the clutch wouldn't do much.  I luckily was close to home and a few pumps I could get it in first.  So now it's time to change the clutch master.  Which is a first for me.  Luckily LynchBurg Nissan had a Nos one.  They still make this part but it looks a little different.  

IMG_3300.jpg

There's a recent thread about the clutch pedal clevis pin and the holes.  Can't find it.  You might read up on that before you start.  That area is not one you'll want to visit twice.

48 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Found it - 

Luckily mine is a very low mile z.  So hopefully it's just remove pin, remove CMC.  Bench bleed, install, bleed etc...

Don't forget "adjust rod length".  That's the part that gets most people, for both brake and clutch.

Just now, Zed Head said:

Don't forget "adjust rod length".  That's the part that gets most people, for both brake and clutch.

Just going to match them for now.  Hopefully getting this done tonight, but my garage is too hot:)

In and bleed. I bench bleed it first. As you can see I know why it failed.  

I have a new correct cap coming in the mail  

0C90B5B9-0220-454F-B994-8840868CED99.jpeg

CAF5AEE2-D98D-4495-83BC-ED3F6ECB9FD8.jpeg

A1ACBB38-7AA0-484C-AA3C-966F494C4C7B.jpeg

56F9FB30-6C3D-4B3C-B357-C889BC6AF44A.jpeg

Edited by duffymahoney

I do love following this thread, it's so familiar in many respects! You obviously have great taste ? Keep up the good work. 

I am super envious of that exhaust setup, it really does look pukka!  

Thanks! Next is my Mikuni triples. I am hopeful I like the sound of them and pull enough to leave this motor in the car. I am also designing up a cnc intake. Should be fun. 

5 hours ago, Woody928 said:

I do love following this thread, it's so familiar in many respects! You obviously have great taste ? Keep up the good work. 

I am super envious of that exhaust setup, it really does look pukka!  

15201E8C-8453-4FF9-A034-FB0435F3C07B.jpeg

0A044638-722C-4702-A103-31F13F485749.jpeg

4AF29762-95B1-46A8-9601-63F8BDE061B3.jpeg

F964E1FB-5421-4493-9701-9DD77B0A822D.jpeg

69D82049-E30B-4087-9562-BD9AF2F545C3.jpeg

Ooooo... Someone has had some CAD training! Nice pics!

Are you thinking you'll CNC these out of a chunk of solid material, or are you thinking you'll have something cast?

Also, some other thoughts:

So is there a really, really good reason for the placement of the throttle shaft bearings and the associated mounting bosses? At quick glance, it appears that you could share the same manifold between front and rear positions if you could standardize the location of the throttle shaft mounting bosses. You really couldn't live with that front throttle shaft cantilevered another inch further forward for the sake of completely getting rid of a unique part? Maybe split the difference in bearing locations between first and third?

In other words... I know the center manifold needs to be unique, but it sure looks like you ought to be able to share the same base unit between the other two.

Also, are the holes for attaching the mounting bar between the three manifolds... Are they all the way through into the intake tubes? If they are all the way through, you'll need to make sure they are vacuum tight even on the locations for the mounting bracket. If they are blind, you won't have to worry about sealing them.

Sorry. Forgot to ask. Is this a design review?   LOL

• Like 1

They will be cnc’d

It will be 3 pieces. All cnc’d, so they don’t need to match. Throttle shaft points can be moved. It’s a copy of the Harada. I studied a bunch of old manifolds and i think the harada has a good throttle linkage system. 

The plate/ bridge will have holes all the way though. The idea is it could be used for vacuum or a balance tube or ?  But again it’s a one off  so it could always change  they won’t leak, it will all be npt threading. 

I love the feedback  

23 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Thanks! Next is my Mikuni triples. I am hopeful I like the sound of them and pull enough to leave this motor in the car. I am also designing up a cnc intake. Should be fun. 

15201E8C-8453-4FF9-A034-FB0435F3C07B.jpeg

0A044638-722C-4702-A103-31F13F485749.jpeg

4AF29762-95B1-46A8-9601-63F8BDE061B3.jpeg

F964E1FB-5421-4493-9701-9DD77B0A822D.jpeg

69D82049-E30B-4087-9562-BD9AF2F545C3.jpeg

Haha I will be even more envious if you pick up a set of those as well! I would love triple OER's however they are way down the list sadly.... 

Cool CAD skills.