IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

On 6/8/2018 at 9:26 PM, Home Built by Jeff said:

Realistically, the finish for primer doesn't require a special gun. When it comes to colour and particularly clear, that is when a good gun is worth while. Just to get a nice clean consistent coverage.

I agree. I have done a lot of painting but have never used high end guns. There has to be a reason shops pay $400 for a primer gun. I was trying to see if you could tell why. Smoother finish, more efficient material usage, less waste, lower air pressures? There has to be a reason. Once I know the reason I can then decide if that justifies spending the extra for the benefit...

• Like 1

I agree. I have done a lot of painting but have never used high end guns. There has to be a reason shops pay $400 for a primer gun. I was trying to see if you could tell why. Smoother finish, more efficient material usage, less waste, lower air pressures? There has to be a reason. Once I know the reason I can then decide if that justifies spending the extra for the benefit...

I have several low end guns and one medium gun, plus one high end'ish gun. The low end guns do good work for primer and epoxy, the medium gun does flow better and create a nicer "football" shape. The higher end gun I use for the spraying of the colour coat and clear coat. It has a better atomizer tip that sprays a finer swirl of air and paint, resulting in fewer drips or runs. I paid $400 Cdn for the higher end gun and also use the 3M PPS system with collapsing cups for paint. I also use water based paints for the colour coat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

The more expensive gun does give a more consistent finish, and if you were doing this every day, then you would justify it, but for the rare job at home, use an old gun for primer and save your dollars for the good gun for the final finish ? 

Does anyone have experience with DeVilbiss paint guns? If so share what you think about their application and quality. They advertise a complete kit at whaf I think is a very reasonable price! THANX

4 hours ago, esmit208 said:

Does anyone have experience with DeVilbiss paint guns? If so share what you think about their application and quality. They advertise a complete kit at whaf I think is a very reasonable price! THANX

I am running a DeVilbiss gun right now. I believe it was their "finish line" gun. I have three different tips for different products and I run everything through the one gun.

It would be nice to have a dedicated clear gun or base/clear gun but I really don't want to buy a $400-500 gun...That might be false economy though, if the cheap gun waste paint and requires more wet sanding

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

I am running a DeVilbiss gun right now. I believe it was their "finish line" gun. I have three different tips for different products and I run everything through the one gun.

It would be nice to have a dedicated clear gun or base/clear gun but I really don't want to buy a $400-500 gun...That might be false economy though, if the cheap gun waste paint and requires more wet sanding

But overall are you satisfied with the results?

1 hour ago, esmit208 said:

But overall are you satisfied with the results?

Fairly. I get better results when the pressure is a little higher but I waste more paint as overspray fog. I can get very glassy clear with it this way. If I turn it down I get a little orange peel. I wet sand that out. Not a problem for primers. They all get blocked down anyway...

On 6/1/2018 at 9:03 PM, 240260280 said:

Oh boy!  You are in for a treat. Torque, Sound, and Superb road feel.  You will love it,!  After you break it in consider 40mm triple carbs!

I drove mine from Florida to Lexington Steam Corners to Santa Barbara and back. The best 6300 miles I ever spent!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...