280zx 5 speed going into 75 280z - Page 4 - Engine & Drivetrain - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

280zx 5 speed going into 75 280z

Featured Replies

  • Author

back to a quiet 4 speed, nice clutch and hopefully no more oil leak. going to take a break from it for a while.

Well that's really a bummer. Not to mention the effort and more money you're going to put into a tranny that you though was ready to go.

Don't do it now though... Spend your time getting ready for the storm.

  • Author

no hurry on doing if for sure, I did order a rebuild kit but it will be here well after the storm. It should be a fun exp rebuilding, something new to learn :)

Hey Dave,  when you put the 5 speed back in, be sure to replace the clutch pivot ball.  Had one break once with no warning.  Cheap insurance, MSA has it.

Pivet Ball.JPG

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

ok so after thinking on it some more, I am leaning toward just sending it out to be done. I have contacted a couple places, mulling over if I want to learn how to do something and buy a bunch of tools OR just pay the man. I am in this to have a fun hobby, my last attempts were somewhat less than fun, but I may still give it ago. will mull it over the next week, hopefully surviving Irma. I am getting pretty good at the swap process, think I got it down to about 6 hrs start to finish. Would be faster still if I had a lift. I think at the minimum I am going to buy another high lift floor jack. I have one that is only 2 tons but can lift 29". The 2 tons is fine for the light Z. My routine now is to place the jacks on the diff and cross member then jack some on one end, put the stands in place , then the other end. Takes about 2 rounds of jacking and positioning to get it to the final height. If I go for the full rebuild I will at least need some bearing pullers and various spacers to pull the main shaft back in .

Best of luck on your transmission project,  but especially best on the approaching storm!

Keep us posted if you can.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.