IGNORED

Champion Radiator ATF Cooling Ports?

w3wilkes

I put a Champion radiator in my car which includes a section for ATF cooling for those with automatic transmissions. I have a manual transmission so the ATF section still has the caps on it. Has anyone thought of using that for oil cooling in a standard transmission car. I figure you could use an oil cooler sandwich adapter and run the lines to the ATF cooling ports of the radiator and use it for oil cooling. Thoughts??

From what I can find typical oil temp is between 230 and 260 degrees F. Water temp leaving the block where temp is measured is roughly 180 to 200 by the temp gauge on the dash. Don't know what the water temp is a the bottom of the radiator when it goes back to the block, but it's got to be somewhat less than when it leaves the block. The ATF cooling section is at the bottom of the radiator so my guess is it would have a positive effect on cooling the oil.

I have a thermostatic valve and a 19 row cooler on my 370Z and it has a hard time getting up to temp in the shoulder seasons. I need to build a block off plate for the cooler. One that is easily removed or opened.
Summertime is awesome cruising through the Okanagan valley with the oil temps just perfect in in 33 degree (Celsius) weather.