IGNORED

1974 Datsun 260z won't start

lefty7126

15 hours ago, SteveJ said:

If you come up here, you could take her to the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame (https://www.facebook.com/georgiaracinghof/). No visit to this area is complete without it. Just ask @240260280 or @Captain Obvious. That place really outshines the Georgia Aquarium and World of Coke COMBINED!

Hmmmm..... maybe now I'll leave her!!

We've done the coke and aquarium.  Atlanta has very nice zoo that I wouldn't mind seeing again and great zip lining.  I better go to Stone Mountain too before that is gone.

Sorry to thread jack. I'll stop. 

Edited by JSM

Well I know you know this, but don't get hung up too much on "continuity to ground". Some things will appear to be shorted to ground, but are working as they should be. Like the headlights...

If you are measuring continuity to ground through the headlight wire, it's not a problem. It's supposed to do that, and unless you have a good meter, you won't be able to tell the difference between a cold filament and a dead short.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well I know you know this, but don't get hung up too much on "continuity to ground". Some things will appear to be shorted to ground, but are working as they should be. Like the headlights...

If you are measuring continuity to ground through the headlight wire, it's not a problem. It's supposed to do that, and unless you have a good meter, you won't be able to tell the difference between a cold filament and a dead short.

But if you have disconnected the circuit before the load or switch, you should not see continuity to ground on the side that is upstream of the load/switch. In this case, the W/R wires were disconnected on either end, so for all intents and purposes, we're talking about loose wires in the dash harness. However, I was still seeing 0.1 ohms to ground on either end of either wire. That is why we're going to examine the dash harness. 

White-Red1.jpg

White-Red2.jpg