IGNORED

Shifter and center console issues

yogii1990

My 240z is currently running a 5 speed instead of the 4 speed trans and i was wondering if anyone ever had the issue where the shifter hits the top of the cente console when shifting up, if so what kind of modifications did you do to fix it or can i modify the shifter itself?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Is it the Borg Warner transmission out of the newer ZXs?  If so you need to get a different shifter.  If it's the older type B from early ZXs you can grind the bottom of the shifter some and it'll click into gear sooner and not hit the console.  I had to do it to mine and a couple of other guys too.  Our's were popping out of 5th gear and reverse.  

Without the console out of the car does it shift in and out okay?

Borg Warner info;

http://datsunzgarage.com/borg/

My 240z is currently running a 5 speed instead of the 4 speed trans and i was wondering if anyone ever had the issue where the shifter hits the top of the cente console when shifting up, if so what kind of modifications did you do to fix it or can i modify the shifter itself?

Yogi
Can you confirm what you are working with. I am guessing you have a 240with a series I console. If you have a 80s five speed there are ways to modify things to work. I recently added an 83 close ratio to my car which has a series I console. I used the original console with series
I inner boot by modifying the shift lever. Let me know if I can be of help.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yeah i think im gonna make a custom bracket for it, kind of hard to explain but i got the idea from a k tuned picture i saw a couple of days ago, hopefully it comes out looking good, ill post pics when i get done, went to deweys today in omaha ne, to get some plastic fittings for my shifter since it was moving all over the place