IGNORED

78 280z flooding when starting

Dogariffic

Thanks Chicken!  I will recheck all of the grounds.  I have previously checked and cleaned all of the connections as you described, but will recheck these specifically! And yes Zed the ignition module by the fuse box was very hot to the touch.  With the Crane xr3000 the car does not fail on the highway anymore....She still runs a bit rich though and this nasty not wanting to start thing.

That's a good point about the ballast and too much current.  But Nissan stopped using the ballast in 1978, last year was 77.  The stock 1978 coil is spec'ed at .84 to 1.02 ohms.  Maybe a super-duper high power coil, low resistance?

Ok here is the update.

Truly appreciate all the interest, comments and thoughts. Everyone but also Zed and Chicken

Yes two problems and it looks like my son and I solved one and made big progress on the other......The Crane xr 3000 solved the problem of the car cutting itself off driving the highway. We have not been able to solve the issue of why the ignition module got hot in the first place though.  Chicken mentioned looking for ground wires so we looked everywhere we could and found several we had missed before. One was under the AMF. We cleaned all of these and also recleaned all of the AMF connections using electrical connector grease everywhere.

We also looked into the throttle position sensor. We cleaned it and adjusted it based on threads illustrating this process.

The end result is that she runs better than ever.... which I almost hate to say out loud.

Appreciate everyone's support... we were days away from pulling the EFI, selling it and installing carbs..... either multiple or a 4barrel. Dont want to start a discussion on that as an option but for now we will just drive her and move on to getting the wipers to work.... they worked fine two months ago until they got wet. Now we keep blowing the fuse.... but again another analysis and thread.

To summarize the flooding when starting that was an issue when this thread was created was solved by the throttle position sensor cleaning and adjustment. The cutting herself off driving down the freeway at 75 after she got hot was solved by replacing the ignition module by the fuse box with a crane XR 3000. We also found a broken vacuum advance centrifugal weight and just replaced the distributor. She drives really nicely.

I will continue to hang out here and learn as much as I can and pass along details of what my son and I have learned. I am sure there will be other questions in the future as well. 

Thank again. Video attached

52272754832__B62799D0-8E7D-4B66-8B42-65A1B9953CA5.MOV

• Like 1

Cool.  You can't give the guys with too much free time extra credit though.  Monkeys and Shakespeare, you know.

I think that the ignition module can get hot because it's failing and passing too much current.  Which leads to more heat and then shut-down.  The Crane XR-3000 is the right choice, it has "dwell" control, like the stock 78 system.

Dave WM just posted about how nice EFI is.  So, maybe you dodged an error.

See you with the next one.  Something will happen, these cars are old.

Edit - Just sayin...

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1