IGNORED

280zx 1979 2+2 slick roof restauration

dutchzcarguy

Today i painted the hood and the 2 front fenders... after a week of... yep... mostly sanding.. The fenders are going to need some bondo were the new parts were welded in. Here some pic's of the work done..

Ready for epoxy..

20200110_154817.jpg

To weld these fenders you have to have the 3 courses Newspaper welding, otherwise you will not be able to weld them!  Definitely in the wheel arch! ROFL

Here you can see the copper welding i've done in the arch..

20200110_161352.jpg

Result..

20200111_125132.jpg

20200111_125155.jpg

20200111_125305.jpg

20200111_125359.jpg

20200111_125410.jpg

The last weld-job (?) is a spot .. a typical DATSUN 280ZX rusty spot halfway in the floor, the left side was done last year and now i discovered that the other side (right) is also in need of an 2x2 inch peace of 1mm steel.. Also, the spot where the rear axle is connected to the chassis is a typical spot but in my case no problem at all!  

20200111_132521.jpg

Just another week at the bodyshop..

Some pic's of the right hand floor..

20200113_131810.jpg

Welded spot and also on this pic the two bolts that in a lot zx's are a problem but not in this car! (the red is not rust it's a Original layer of the old glue that sat under the greenish tape.)

20200113_141445.jpg

Bought a old r-hand door for some internal parts, like the little clips../ window mechanism/ opener...etc.    Here one can see what a "normal 280zx door looks like after 40 years.. :omg:

IMG-20200112-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20200112-WA0001.jpg

So far so good, this is what the car looks like, putting it together for some fitment checks.

20200117_150006.jpg

Maybe next week or so.. the bodyman of the shop is taking over to get it perfect. I wanted to do that also but as the germans say:  ICH HABE DIE NASE VOLL!!  (STAUB)  :Bang:  (translated.. I'm fedd up with it.. or..  I'm sick of it?)  no seriously.. i've done this before but i can let them do this in less than half the time i would need.  (And if i'm honest.. i really.. really!!!  don't like prep and sanding!)  Later on assembling the car looks like a nice job to do, especially now most parts are ready to fit to the car.

Getting the front window in seems to be one of the last hurdles to take..    

Does anyone know where i can get those clipstrips (rubber band with several stainless clips on them)  needed to put the stainless trimming on?   There was a shop is the States but they only had the lower or the upper strip for sale, (i'm not sure )  if i order there i need them both..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So… these last 2 weeks busy with making the gaps perfect between the 10-11 parts a 280zx has in the front!  My bodyshop guy is making them flawless..

Nothing to show for now.. in a few weeks i hope to get into the paintbooth with the 280zx..

For the windscreen rubber maybe the Carglass guys have some clips for me (???)  to put the stainless strips on.. (round the windscreen so i can get them off when a screen is broken.)  and not laying in the silicone or other gummy mess...

PLEASE,  if you have a good solution, tell me here!  thanks!

These clips? They came from the top stainless trim off the 82 NA 2+2. I heard there was another separate rubber piece but mine looks to have been put in with adhesive. The trim was held onto the car with these as it was. I expect there are more for the bottom trim but I have not removed that part yet.

IMG_2781.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

These clips?

Yes!  That could work for my '79 car..  Normally they are on a rubber band that is layd down in adhesive. ( one for lower side and one for upper side.. probably 2 different width's??)  I don't know if the 1979 and later 1982 cars had the same width stainless strips on the front screen...

If the strips of stainless fit on those clips, i would like to know where i can buy these? Should be 2 different sorts of clips (diff. width).

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Yes!  That could work for my '79 car..  Normally they are on a rubber band that is layd down in adhesive. ( one for lower side and one for upper side.. probably 2 different width's??)  I don't know if the 1979 and later 1982 cars had the same width stainless strips on the front screen...

If the strips of stainless fit on those clips, i would like to know where i can buy these? Should be 2 different sorts of clips (diff. width).

I looked up the parts fiche again and it shows the clips for the 79 but does not list a part number. For the 82 it has the same picture and does list a number (72727-W1000) and qty of 7 for 81->. It does not show clips for the bottom. Both years show the same rubber strip (72825-P7900 upper - 72826-P7100 lower) They look in the pics like they had something on them, perhaps the metal clips you are referring to.

These clips were tucked into the upper stainless when I pulled it off. It look odd to me as I don't see how they held onto the car. I'll see if I can get the bottom off and see what's under there. 

These are available if you need them.

• Like 1

Hahaha….  Today i got a funny mail from The USA..  from OC Carpets.com 

I ordered a set of 2+2 280zx blue carpets in sept. 2017 for my car but they don't fit!  Here some pic's! 

IMG-20200207-WA0000.jpg

20200207_144715.jpg

So i sended them some pic's and explained that i was testfitting these last Friday..   Also sayd it's a euro version 280zx 1979 2+2..  i think they sended me a 2 seater carpet set but they said in a first reaction it was'nt..  It's made for a 2+2 and i would have A LONGER VERSION CAR!!   ?

HAHAHAHA… ???   i'm shure the US and EURO version 2+2 cars have the same length!  SO i told them to give me a better solution than just to say my car is a special version!   (I'm a special version maybe… i am 6 foot 4 ! ?)

20200207_144727.jpg

20200207_150018.jpg

Are there more people here that ordered a carpet from them? i'm interested what your experience is with this company?  I'm convinced they solve this problem..  if not i'll make a new topic here about the way they work and do business!

With al the shippingcosts and the stupidly high taxes i payd over 400 euro for this set so i expect it to be fitting my car!

TO BE CONTINUED!

20200207_145853.jpg

20200207_145859.jpg

20200207_145906.jpg

20200207_150032.jpg

20200207_150039.jpg

20200207_150045.jpg

Edited by dutchzcarguy

18 hours ago, Zed Head said:

You don't have the old set to compare to?

Oh Man!  It gets even funny-er!  Look at my pictures!  The new ones are laying on the OLD ONES!!!! !!!!  in all the pic's!! 

People who follow my restaurations here at home... they are .. to say the least.. "surprised"  that an american firm just tells me.. my car is altered the carpet is fine, my car is the problem!  I'm not far from getting very angry now… ?