IGNORED

Im not sure what z car to get for my first car

Gmz779

Go to zhome.com and look for "common problems/rust areas". A lot of good info on that page.

My 280 was all smogged up and ran like crap. Luckily nobody cares in Alabama and I deleted all that stuff when I rebuilt the motor. Wherever you live I'd check to make sure the cut off date for emissions is past whatever year you're looking at.

Good luck in your search, they're out there!

Rust is the nemesis that plagues all Z's. Body condition is the first and most important thing to look for. Everything else pales in comparison to rust. The EFI seems to be a common problem on 280's too. At least until it's sorted out. Then it seems to be reliable. Suspension and steering components (bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, etc.)usually need to be refreshed.

• Thanks 1

Another thing people often forget about is the age/maintenance ratio.

These are old mostly plastic and fragile cars everywhere but the body which is rust prone.

They require constant attention,  like a pet in my opinion. Do you like working on cars or drivng? That FSR I think from Scion is a nice arse car and nothing but driving. 

These Zs are easy to work on but you have to work on them. That turns to the fun part, for me at least.  I have a garage and like working on mine as much as I do driving it but I enjoy beer more than any car. ROFL

• Like 2

240,260,280 are all fine and my preference over a ZX....I have a very late model  280Z

Others have mentioned rust and based on my experience whatever you see will be deeper.....but...with some sanding and grinding rust goes away.  Behind wheel wells, in front of wheel wells, the spare tire area, under the panel that covers the windshield wiper motor, under the front fenders and behind the headlights.  Basically all of it!

If you have a few holes but nothing too major there are replacement panels you can buy online to patch and repair these areas, and if you do most of the clean and prep having a professional install the panels won't cost too much in the big picture...at least that has been my experience.

Mechanically the EFI can be a bear.  If you want to keep it get/download the factory service manual online.  Ther are fairly inexpensive options to replace the EFI with modern components now and you could even install a carb on a 280 if you like to make it more reliable.  All doable with time and $.  

This guy has a really nice video series on YouTube I have enjoyed watching recently...Wish I had seen it a year ago! This is his first video in the series.

I like them all, they are all the same basic design.  I got a 280z and removed the bumpers.  Replaced with 240z bumpers (pretty simple, made some brackets..)  Got the FI system working right by cleaning the injectors/wiring connectors.

The best one is the one with the least amount of rust, you should hear this time and time again.  Mechanical parts can be found.  Body work and rust sucks and isn't safe.  FYI my 280z looks just like a 240z now, except for the emblems and tail lights.