IGNORED

I need everyone's help on this

zdude1967

18 minutes ago, zdude1967 said:

Steve J

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is a 260z, I have had it a few years and the turn signals never worked on one side. I have replaced the turn signal switch, flashers, and hazard switch. Recently I took out the taillights etc to prep for paint . Once I put it all back together the combo switch connector melted a bit. at that point I noticed that when you press the brake pedal the dash lights and side marker lights go on, turn signals still only work on one side ( drivers) and when the headlights are on the passenger side turn signal indicator on the speedometer lights up and the turn signal that did work does not. This has been such a major pain to the point I began trying to remove the dash thinking maybe wires were melted together thus causing the dash and side markers to light when the brake is pressed. Finally the other day I came to the reality that if I (at my skill level) took the dash out many other things would probably never work again. I have no shops in my area (Phoenix) that work on these so I felt it could be the end of my ever driving this car again. 

I am going out to the garage this weekend to check out the bulb situation. 

I will keep you posted .

Thanks

Zdude1967

You do realize that you left out these details when you originally described the problem, don't you? There could be more going on than a wrong bulb or bad socket.

Have you downloaded a copy of the FSM? The BE section has some nice breakouts of the circuits.

Steve J

Yes I do realize these details were left out. I also the other day replaced the 9 pin connector on the car side and had the combo switch rebuilt in case there was an issue there. I have not put in the combo switch. However I just tried the bulbs and the side markers do not light when the brake is pressed.  You Sir - are a rock star.  As for the dashlights they seem to not be coming on either however my combo switch is still out of the car and the dash did not light with it out, only when it was all in and fully assembled. I do have the FSM and did print the wiring for the car and tried to figure out where a short would be ( my definition of short being wires melted together) or somewhere the current from the brake switch could light the side markers and dash - I thought the 9 pin- when that swap out did nothing to fix the problem I looked here. My skills - especially electrical are limited- but my love for the car is great.  Thanks for your help I will know this weekend if it is totally fixed.

Thanks

Zdude1967