IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

You make me feel soooooo sloooowwwww!!!! :blush:

I only get this much done when my wife is out.  Otherwise, I end up doing a lot of honeydo's

Got a  bunch of little things done today.  Cleaned the front air ducts and installed those.  Touched up scratches on the rear panels and pressed them in place.  I noticed the back hatch panel does not have any holes to attach the gray panels.  I will have to drill that in order to put the rivets through.  I installed the filler tube, flap and gas cap.  i may end up getting a new flap for this.  There are some small cracks on this flap at the edges. Also painted the front grill panel satin black.  Pics below

DSCF5045.JPG

DSCF5047.JPG

DSCF5050.JPG

DSCF5052.JPG

DSCF5054.JPG

DSCF5056.JPG

DSCF5060.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 2

Cleaned up the front suspension area hardware so I can get it plated.   Got the chrome back from Pacific Plating.  I think I will leave the chrome parts in the wrap for now until I am ready to install it.  The new chrome looks so nice!

DSCF5070.JPG

DSCF5074.JPG

DSCF5075.JPG

Edited by motorman7

Picked up the clock from the clock repair guy.  He really does a great job.  I gave him the broken clock over two weeks ago.  He installed a quartz mechanism and then monitored the time for almost two weeks to make sure it was EXACT.   He even puts marker on the back for the clock speed adjustment which I thought was interesting.  He did the clock on my 71 Z and the clock keeps excellent time.  Pretty nice for a 240Z.

Also installed the clock in the dash.  Pics below.  

Installed the door latches and also installed the outside rubber on the front bumper.  The over rider rubber should be in tomorrow.  Pics below

DSCF5080.JPG

DSCF5083.JPG

DSCF5084.JPG

DSCF5092.JPG

DSCF5099.JPG

DSCF5095.JPG

DSCF5097.JPG

DSCF5100.JPG

• Like 1

I worked on the drivers side frame rail today.  It had a few significant dents, so I used a slide hammer to pull the dents out and then some filler to clean them up.  I will use POR-15 on this area and then spray the undercoating on top of that.  Pics below are the before pic and the straightened frame rail.  Still need to POR-15 and undercoat these.  

DSCF5104.JPG

DSCF5110.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2017 at 9:48 AM, wheee! said:

I used Internal Frame Coat from Eastwood.

Thanks.....Also, thanks for the source here.   I just ordered some for the rails.  I looked for spray gun attachments but the tips all seemed to be 1/2" diameter or more.  This has a nice small tube for internal access. 

You can stop with all of the over the top craftsmanship and attention to detail. Not sure if I want to completely redo my 71 or not even bother trying to achieve your level of work. I think I will stick to resto mods and utilize my artistic license to skirt around all that hard work and relentless perfection :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

You can stop with all of the over the top craftsmanship and attention to detail. Not sure if I want to completely redo my 71 or not even bother trying to achieve your level of work. I think I will stick to resto mods and utilize my artistic license to skirt around all that hard work and relentless perfection :)

It's only because I'm an engineer and very anal retentive, it's a curse.  And, frame rails are pretty much the first thing I look at when checking out a Z.  Smog equipment would be the second item.  Usually if I see  both of those in good shape, then I am interested.

That being said:

I was checking over the new chromed bumpers and noticed a very light surface rust on the inside (which of course really bugged me!) So I passivated the rust using phosphoric acid (rust turns dark when rinsed with phosphoric acid: converts iron oxide,rust, to ferric phosphate, second pic) , wiped clean and then painted with Silver POR-20.  That should remedy the rust.  It is pretty much a non-visible area so I just applied the paint to prevent the rust.  I am told that most chrome shops recommend that the inside of the bumpers be painted so this should work well.

DSCF5126.JPG

DSCF5125.JPG

DSCF5117.JPG

DSCF5127.JPG

DSCF5123.JPG

Edited by motorman7