IGNORED

HLS30-00006 at the Crusher?

• 2 months later...

Colorized Green at NYC Press Preview

hls30-00006 Oct 22 1969.jpg

I again assert that HLS30-00006 (green) did show duty for Nissan Motor Corporation East (NYC, Boston, Montreal) based on these photos:

BostonAutoShow_Oct-1969.jpg.a0c7c0f5ffb864728427ef48b29cf6fe.jpg

hls30-00006 Montreal Jan 15 1970.jpg

240z at Montreal 2.jpg

I'll assert that HLS30-00008 (silver) did show and ad duty for Nissan Motor Corporation West (LA) based on these photos:

image.png1970 240z.jpg1070 ad.JPGR&T70Sm.jpgR&T70Page3Sm.jpgimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

I'll assert that HLS30-00007 (Red) did film and ad duty for both regions  based on these photos and videos:

1969 hls30-00007 2.jpg1969 hls30-00007.jpgARRC Nov 26 1969  HLS30-00007 Back Quarter.jpg1969 Daytona AARC Demo 240z Vin HLS30-00007 red colour.jpgARRC HLS30-00007 2.jpgARRC HLS30-00007.jpghls30-00007.jpghls30-00007a.jpg

11 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Colorized Green at NYC Press Preview

hls30-00006 Oct 22 1969.jpg

I again assert that HLS30-00006 (green) did show duty for Nissan Motor Corporation East (NYC, Boston, Montreal) based on these photos...

You just Jumped The Shark...

What was wrong with leaving it in greyscale/BW?

Colourising B/W photos to fit a narrative - right or wrong - is the thin end of the wedge. It's just not academic, is it?

Nope. It is just mighteee purdeeee.

Academically, all 4 photos of HLS30-00006 show clear front turn lights so this is *very* strong evidence pointing to the same unique car, in addition to the dark colour,  time line, geographical area, production numbers, and VIN numbers.

Understanding why 00007 and 00008 had amber turn indicators and why 00006 had clear and kept them into Jan is an interesting topic.

Edited by 240260280

13 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Nope. It is just mighteee purdeeee.

Academically, all 4 photos of HLS30-00006 show clear front turn lights so this is *very* strong evidence pointing to the same unique car, in addition to the dark colour,  time line, geographical area, production numbers, and VIN numbers.

Understanding why 00007 and 00008 had amber turn indicators and why 00006 had clear and kept them into Jan is an interesting topic.

That may well be the case, but colourising a photo to support your assertion is tampering with evidence

What happened to the assertion that one or more of these show cars was repainted/colour changed between events? 

In researching the factory competition cars - and especially regarding chassis numbers - I've learned to be a little more reticent about circumstantial evidence. I prefer to see supporting, primary source, period documentation/paperwork to back up theory and guesswork. 

That could be the case for some data but in this case it is too compelling.  We will just have to be patient for colour photos to eventually pop up to confirm 100%.

Colorizing does make some b/w photos look nicer or provide context. 

1969 Daytona AARC Demo 240z Vin HLS30-00007 red colour sm.jpg

1969 image coloured.jpg

Nissan were "photoshoping" back in the day so it is nothing new:

240z early.jpgs-l1600.jpg

image.png

image.png

Edited by 240260280

13 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

We will just have to be patient for colour photos to eventually pop up to confirm 100%.

LOL. Notwithstanding the fact that you didn't wait, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Considering zhome - without any detectable sense of irony - calls the Pierre Hotel event "THE INTERNATIONAL DEBUT" (clue: it wasn't...) you won't see many photos from the day. 

I think many photos were taken but the people who took them are not posting due to their generation/tech savy, loss of photos, non-importance, media format (slide vs paper print), etc.  It is just like all of the other car shows and press events from back then.  There just are not many internet-published photos for most of these. Occasionally we find a nugget like Chris's Boston, or Kat's LA, or Mike's Vancouver, or your Tokyo images but these are all so rare.

Edited by 240260280

2 hours ago, 240260280 said:

I think many photos were taken but the people who took them are not posting due to their generation/tech savy, loss of photos, non-importance, media format (slide vs paper print), etc. 

Since we are hypothesising, here's an educated guess from me regarding the NY Pierre Hotel and LA 'Trunk Show' (that's what I'm calling them...) events:

I have never seen any press coverage of these events which included photos of the actual cars on display (Kats' colour LA photo looks like a 'personal use' shot by/for staff involved, and the NY show 'unveiling' photo is Nissan's) so my hunch is that either press photographers were asked not to shoot ('please use stock studio photos provided in the press pack'...?) or that the surroundings were unsuitable - maybe even too chintzy - to allow usable shots to be taken. Everything I've seen seems to point to the former.

If not, where was the period press photo coverage? I'll settle for American magazines, despite the "International Debut" tagline. Where's the protein? I only see photo coverage of the American/Canadian shows that followed.

In contrast, All the Japanese motoring magazines, as well as daily newspapers, carried coverage of the 1969 Tokyo Motor Show with their own photography. They even reported with their own photos from the 18th October Ginza Press Preview. Why was this not the case for the "International Debut" American trunk shows?