IGNORED

Just Another Damned Project Thread

conedodger

3 hours ago, conedodger said:

Leon,

i don't think of it so much as going to the dark side, as I think it is bringing the car into this century. I get the style of the original which is classic, but the accuracy of a modern car. Let's face it. Stop light to stop light, we get beat by minivans. 300HP and almost that in torque evens that out. Controlling it all digitally is icing on the cake.

Agreed, it's nice to have reliable, modern tech under the hood. The Rebello motor should be a ton of fun!

I went a slightly different direction with my current Z, using 123ignition for timing. Still a distributor but it's digital and I have discrete control of the timing curve. Considering getting the Jenvey Weber look-alike throttle bodies if I go EFI at some point down the road.

Keep us posted on your project!

• Like 1

Leon,
i don't think of it so much as going to the dark side, as I think it is bringing the car into this century. I get the style of the original which is classic, but the accuracy of a modern car. Let's face it. Stop light to stop light, we get beat by minivans. 300HP and almost that in torque evens that out. Controlling it all digitally is icing on the cake.

what engine and mods do you have that are giving 300hp?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

51 minutes ago, LeonV said:

Agreed, it's nice to have reliable, modern tech under the hood. The Rebello motor should be a ton of fun!

I went a slightly different direction with my current Z, using 123ignition for timing. Still a distributor but it's digital and I have discrete control of the timing curve. Considering getting the Jenvey Weber look-alike throttle bodies if I go EFI at some point down the road.

Keep us posted on your project!

Leon, I wondered about the Jenvey Tbodies. I'm trying to restrain myself from getting too wild. I'll watch for your build. BTW, I bought the smog shop in the same complex as Original Customs so I have rollers we can use for tuning! Not a dyno but we can laptop tune without worrying about traffic... 

56 minutes ago, FreshZ said:

what engine and mods do you have that are giving 300hp?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I believe I actually said 250-300HP. Rebello says this combination of forged pistons, stroked crank and lightened H-beam rods makes up to 300HP and 290lbs/ft of torque. I'm using a ported and polished E31 head with big valves that has been modified with injector ports for the Megasquirt Pro EMS. This is all on Dave Rebello's website if you want to check it out...

Conedodger it looks like you just bought the same motor I did from Rebello, it's pretty incredible.  Here is a list of the stuff I screwed up mostly all from this thread: 

1. I should have purchased a new or rebuilt harmonic damper.  Looks like you are on top of that.  I rebuilt mine after it exploded on the car

2. I should have addressed the flywheel and clutch earlier.  I purchased a fidanza aluminium flywheel and centerforce II clutch.  No regrets but the clutch engagement takes some getting used to because of the lack of inertia on the flywheel

3. I should have purchased the distributor system earlier.  Ultimately i ended up with a 280zx dizzy and it works great and even idles smooth.  I cant speak to your EDIS conversion but I should have had the ignition working on the old motor to reduce the amount of variables after the motor swap

4. I needed a fancy timing light with dial adjustment

5. The alternator upgrade and relay kits should be done before motor swap.  I have occasional low voltage issues and I bet that would wreak havoc on a computer controlled ignition.

If i think of anything else ill post it :)

Edited by Kurbycar32

14 hours ago, Kurbycar32 said:

Conedodger it looks like you just bought the same motor I did from Rebello, it's pretty incredible.  Here is a list of the stuff I screwed up mostly all from this thread: 

2. I should have addressed the flywheel and clutch earlier.  I purchased a fidanza aluminium flywheel and centerforce II clutch.  No regrets but the clutch engagement takes some getting used to because of the lack of inertia on the flywheel

I have a feeling that the touchy clutch engagement is due to the clutch and not the flywheel. I'm running a 10lb Fidanza with a stock clutch (at 194hp/180lb-ft at the wheels BTW) and engagement is nice and smooth. FWIW...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LeonV said:

Let me know when you're ready for tuning, Bob. I can get you a discounted rate on dyno rental at Works Motorsports at Sonoma Raceway. I've tuned a few Megasquirt setups and would be happy to assist. ;)

Cool! I'm 5 miles away from the entrance at my smog shop!

17 hours ago, LeonV said:

I have a feeling that the touchy clutch engagement is due to the clutch and not the flywheel. I'm running a 10lb Fidanza with a stock clutch (at 194hp/180lb-ft at the wheels BTW) and engagement is nice and smooth. FWIW...

Thats priceless info