IGNORED

L28 Clutch/flywheel swap 240mm options

german240

HI guys,

I need your help. I've been searching the whole web (almost) and still don't know more than before I started my search. I want to swap my L28 flywheel/clutch to a 240mm unit. I use a stock 4-speed gearbox (out of my 240z).

I've read that the 280z 2+2 as well as later 280zx turbo cars use a 240mm flywheel. However, if I look up the flywheel at rockauto, I always end up finding the same (225mm) flywheel for all models (240z-280zx), even though it says 280 2+2: Rockauto

I also heard a SR20DET clutch + some other flywheel could work.. If someone had a parts number or a list of all required parts for a swap..that would be super awesome!! Thanks!

flywheel.jpg

If you are just swapping the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing collar, you will have no problem. They are basically the same except for the early series I 240Z. I don't know which ywar your 240Z is, but the series I had a different height pressure plate and throw out bearing collar so you can not mix parts.

Here is a little background on the different types per model.

I think that the flywheels you showed in the image are all 240 mm.  Not clear why you think that they're 225 mm.  The 225 mm is essentially NLA, very difficult to find.

Here's the image for 1976 280Z.  Rockauto only shows the 2+2 as available and the numbers match what you showed.

1976 flywheel.PNG

You'll be missing the throwout bearing sleeve (aka collar).  That kit only shows the bearing.  Your 240Z sleeve might not be right.  You can get them from MSA, but you need to know the height of the pressure plate fingers.  Some kits come with a sleeve.

Your problem is that there are several collar heights, designed to match several pressure plate heights.  Without knowing your pressure plate height you can't specify a collar height.  It's a constant problem with Z clutches.  Even Motorsport still specifies by car type, when that doesn't really matter, since pressure plate height can vary by manufacturer's design.  And they give a measurement that's not directly useful.  It's a confusing thing.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/21-2123

Not really.  Odds are in your favor that since it's spec'ed for the 83 turbo, that the sleeve that MSA sells for the 83 turbo will work.  No guarantees though until you get them and measure.  I'll never install a clutch and collar without measuring first.

Arrh, be carefull buying the flywheel. It is for the 240mm clutch, that is clear, but they do not mention the weight in your link. The 225mm flywheel are all 23ibs, but the 240mm came in 23 and 28lbs. The 28lbs was used in the trucks.

Why not go for the Findanza aluminium flywheel with the standard 240mm clutch. That will give you about 10lbs weight reduction over the standard 225mm setup.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fiz-143281/overview/year/1983/make/nissan/model/280zx

BTW: The standard 240mm flywheel and clutch will increase the weight a little over 2lbs compared to the 225mm setup, because of the heavier pressure plate has more metal/surface area.

Chas

Thanks for the heads up. According to Amazon it is a 23lb flywheel - plus I'll send it to a workshop in order to get it lightened. MUCH cheaper than the Findanza :) I found this table somewhere: clutch.jpg

The 30501-0H600 Collar is even available through Nissan Europe!

I would be very carefull with these tables on the internet. Everyone does there best to be helpfull, but some of the information is poorly sourced.

If I remember correctly that part number for the 240mm was still in use until recently and many other models used it. They don't cost much so I would just ordr it and then you know it will work.

Are you going to lighten it like in the drawing in the link I posted (ID:2)?

It won't be as light as the findanza, but you should get it down to about 16lbs. You will notice it, I did:)

Edited by EuroDat
Typo