Weber selection and initial jet tuning - Page 38 - Triple Mikuni and Webers - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Weber selection and initial jet tuning

Featured Replies

OK. Thanks for the details. Got it.  I did not see the top rivet on the pickup (5).  I just did this adjustment on a similar set up and the pickup would move when turning the eccentric (3). It seems yours is not adjustable without drilling a rivet.

  • Author

The car really didn't want to start/idle well with the gap opened up to .030"  So I put the #1 screw back in and tightened it back up.  280ZX dizzy shows up tomorrow so I'll try that out. 

  • Author

280ZX dizzy is here.  Looking at the wiring diagrams I found. Do I need to switch over to a 3.0 Ohm coil or can I stick with my current 1.5 Ohm and Ballast Resistor setup?  Anyone know? I remember trying to delete the resistor and use a 3.0 ohm coil before and the tach would go wacky at mid-high rpms. 

72OrigIng.jpg

 

StockToZXIng.jpg

I use a 1.5 Ps20 Fireball with my ZX distributor after researching. Works great!

You may need that specific cap and button too, they're bigger than Zs.

And the resistor is bypassed.  Oh, it says that above.  Sorry...

Edited by siteunseen

  • Author
12 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I use a 1.5 Ps20 Fireball with my ZX distributor after researching. Works great!

You may need that specific cap and button too, they're bigger than Zs.

And the resistor is bypassed.  Oh, it says that above.  Sorry...

Ok thanks! Do you run the ballast resistor too? 

I didn't think about the cap and rotor. I'll check tonight and see if mine fit by chance. 

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

So it looks like I'll be going from 24 degress of centrifugal advance down to 17. Since the webers don't use vacuum advance, that's what I get. So I'll probably have to add a bit more timing to it overall to get the same full advanced timing at 3K+.  

So it looks like I'll be going from 24 degress of centrifugal advance down to 17. Since the webers don't use vacuum advance, that's what I get. So I'll probably have to add a bit more timing to it overall to get the same full advanced timing at 3K+.  
I think that's better. The Webers will be happier with more static advance.
You could go even further and take out a few mm of range in the centrifugal advance limiter.

You probably want ~34 degrees total. The mechanical advance will give you 17 of that 34 so setting at 17  at low rpms will work well. 

 

btw Cranking is tougher the more you advance. 17 is bearable.

  • Author

I checked my timing before swapping the dizzy's out. 20 at idle and 37 at 3K+  So, I guess I did only have 17 degrees in the old one. 280zx dizzy is in but I need to adjust the timing tonight and go take her for a test spin. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.