IGNORED

Weber selection and initial jet tuning

blodi

Glad others are all getting something out of this! Started this just to educate myself, but happy others can learn with me!

esmit208, I don't know if my tuner has an altimeter, but I'll look.  It was varying temps when I did various pulls, so I always kept that in mind.  I think we are between the last two setups as far as e tubes and such...then just figuring out the accell circuit.  

Hopefully tuning can resume March/April once the snow here in Michigan clears. In the meantime I have plenty to do: lash pad fix, rear disc conversion, some small electrical fixes...etc. 

Image result for waynes world memes

12 hours ago, blodi said:

Glad others are all getting something out of this! Started this just to educate myself, but happy others can learn with me!

esmit208, I don't know if my tuner has an altimeter, but I'll look.  It was varying temps when I did various pulls, so I always kept that in mind.  I think we are between the last two setups as far as e tubes and such...then just figuring out the accell circuit.  

Hopefully tuning can resume March/April once the snow here in Michigan clears. In the meantime I have plenty to do: lash pad fix, rear disc conversion, some small electrical fixes...etc. 

Image result for waynes world memes

Your local weather channel broadcasts the current barometric pressure (altimeter) during the local weather. They present it in INCHES OF MERCURY.......29.96......29.94....etc...etc. This setting is very important in aviation. Without it a pilot will not know his correct altitude.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks GREAT! SK's have an accelerator pump, no choke. Let us know how the choke mechanism works. Fortunately here in Florida, at least central Florida, not too many cold morning starts to evaluate the accelerator pump. STAY ON IT!:cool:

60+ degree day here yesterday so I fired her up after work. The new choke setup works great! Started immediately. 

Backed it out the driveway....thought I started hearing that tapping noise again...got a bit down the road and could hear it wasn't hitting on all cylinders.....

Later on I pulled the valve cover and ...son of a.....it happened again!

40536105351_9623da5b2c_b.jpgIMG_4498 by blodi, on Flickr

Found the lash pad...full in tact this time...

26665185888_53ffd1c246_b.jpgIMG_4499 by blodi, on Flickr

Really confused what might be causing this. I readjusted the valve to .010 when I installed the new lash pad.  A quick look has me wondering if the lash pad on this particular valve is thinner than the others....

26665185368_0200e037eb_b.jpgIMG_4501 by blodi, on Flickr

40536104931_fcba7d2b38_b.jpgIMG_4500 by blodi, on Flickr

I think I'll pull one of the other lash pads and measure it. Maybe when this engine was built a thinner last pad accidentally was installed on this valve. It would still be a bit odd as I had put 3-4k miles on this engine before it had issues.  And regardless of the thickness the pad still sits down into the retainer the same amount. What else could cause the lash pad to pop out? Sticky valve? The engine has only the 3-4K I've put on it since it was built and has had a generous amount of oil changes.  Maybe I didn't get the spring that holds the rocker valve in place on correctly? I'm just stumped a bit.  Ideas?

Aftermarket lash pads are flat on bottom, Nissan's have a hole the valve stems fits in.  Is your's flat or does it have the hole?

Another thing I've seen on this forum is the mouse trap springs hooked in the wrong way.  My dementia is iffy today but i think it was one of @240260280 friends, Kammy?

Just some guesses, also some write ups that may be useful.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&ei=-OCWWqiYCYLisAWuk5PYDw&q=lash+pad+fell+off+classiczcars.com&oq=lash+pad+fell+off+classiczcars.com&gs_l=psy-ab.3...55397.67929.0.69656.49.31.2.0.0.0.126.2114.30j1.31.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..24.1.84...0j0i7i10i30k1j0i7i30k1.0.cwiVEIcihMo