IGNORED

Too much power for current clutch

CooperZ479

16 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Sorry to overwhelm a new member Cooper but essentially what we're saying is you should drop the transmission first, get the collar off and see what you have before ordering your clutch kit.  Here's something that shows the 92mm measurement they're talking about.  Best of luck with your 240Z, they are amazing cars. :)

he still hasnt posted that he has checked the adjustment. could be that simple. it sounds like he just wants to throw $$$ at it.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input, y'all's information is invaluable. I've been away on vacation for a couple days with the family, just got back into town. I plan on getting under the car tomorrow after work and adjusting the clutch. I don't have the tools to drop the transmission, though, I know of a shop that does great work on classics. Only bad part is that the shop will have to keep the car for a while once it is taken apart. Assuming all goes well I won't need to drop a huge amount of money into it. Unfortunately it is making some nasty noises under deceleration and when I go to shift gears when letting off of the throttle. Could that be the pressure plate, or the R200 going out? I did notice some oil on the bottom of my differential.

It could be a broken diaphram in the pressure plate. That is the dics with all the fingers. It's what applies the pressure to the disc.

When did this nasty noise on deceleration start?

Going by the symptoms you have described: Slipping clutch, Grinding into reverse and now nasty noise when decelerating. Looks more like a clutch group problem and not an adjustment problem. Clutch plates really don't like slippy in the othr direction: deceleration.

Slipping would mean adjusted too tight with clutch not fully engaged and grinding gears would mean adjusted too loose and clutch not fully disengaging. Or it could be worn clutch and someone adjusted it tò loose to try to solve it that way. Do you know the history of the clutch?

Checking the adjustment won't cost anything but time and will eliminate that as a posible cause to your problem.

Edited by EuroDat